Chapter 23: Story Time

Meanwhile

I was flying through the air to my father's base, using the excuse that I was asleep so nobody back at the U.S. facility would notice I was missing. It had been a few hours that I had been flying, but eventually I spotted my father's base from above.

I flew down to the entrance, and was immediately greeted by two guards whose minds were switched into robot bodies.

The guard on the left did a fist bump with me and greeted "Rowan! I was wondering when you'd be back!"

"I don't know why you'd be wondering, J-Jake. I've been coming back every month," I replied.

I looked at the guard on the right, and all he did was look at me and say in a gruff voice "Rowan.

"I-I see you're happy to see me," I said to the second guard before heading inside the base.

When I went through the large metal doors, I was greeted by the sight of a large, square room that connected to the rest of the facility. Inside the room were hundreds of robots, with a large majority of them flying around as if they were bees in a hive.

You see, even though the majority of soldiers in my father's army had accepted the deal to have their minds moved into robot bodies, the army still didn't have enough robots to fulfill my father's expectations, so there was a second set of robots that were all connected by a massive hive mind.

That hive mind could only be controlled by me, my father, and my brother.

Surprisingly, there seemed to be less robots around than usual.

Shrugging it off, I thought Now that I think about it, I still have an hour or two before my father expects me.

Maybe I could go talk to Cornelius.

Then, I stopped a nearby robot, and asked it "Hey, do you know where Cornelius is?"

"General Cornelius is currently located in simulation room one," the robot said. It immediately flew away.

5 minutes later

I walked into the observation deck of the training room, and saw Cornelius was currently fighting a bunch of variously colored humanoid creatures.

As soon as I entered the observatory, a knife whizzed past my neck, just barely leaving a cut across my neck.

At the first, the pain from the cut felt like a paper cut, then a massive burst of pain arose, though it was only for a second.

I grabbed my neck as I looked to where the knife came from, and saw Carnage. I looked back at his human form, and raised an eyebrow.

"H-how are-"

"Knumans can split in half, allowing them to be in two places at once," Carnage explained.

"O-oh... can they do that i-infinitely, or..."

"No. The amount of times they can split is dependent on how many other beings they've killed."

...

"So, why have you come to visit me?"

"I-I just wanted to s-see how you w-were doing."

"Really," Carnage said skeptically.

"Y-yeah! Of course. I'm n-not like my father."

The room was silent for a moment, then Carnage said "It could always be worse."

"W-what do you m-mean?"

"Do you know Knightmare?"

I thought for a moment, and said "Y-yeah. You joined my father's a-army so you could t-try to fight against him."