Chapter 25: The Truth Comes Out

5 hours later

It had been an especially difficult flight to the U.S. base, due to the heavy storm that I had to pass through most of the way. When I got within eyesight of the base, I landed on the helipad, then used a spell to instantly dry myself.

As I snuck to Luke's quarters, I thought back on the recent reveal of my father's actions.

Is this what it means to be born evil? To ruin the lives of everybody around you just for your own benefit?

...

I can understand not caring about other people, but that... that's just too far.

People, even when they know where the line is, try to cross said line as far as possible, Hope said.

But... there's a line for a reason, right, I asked as I entered the lobby.

There's two types of people. Those who try to follow the rules, and those who go out of their way to break them, Fear reasoned.

When I entered the elevator moments before the receptionist entered the lobby, Hope said It's a sad truth, but it still is the truth.

The elevator went to it's destination, and as I turned visible again, turned my appearance into Luke's, and neared Steve's unit's hallway, I thought Why do I continue to follow my father's every command, even when I know I shouldn't?

It's not easy to determine the exact reason, but I think one reason is that you want to gain his attention, to make up for a lack of attention when you were a child.

You're surprisingly good at reading people, I responded.

Yeah, I get that a lot, Hope said humbly while I entered the unit's hallway and went to Luke's room.

I opened the door to his quarters, and saw Isabelle leaning against the back wall. When she saw me open the door, I said nervously "Uhh... hey... honey. How are you?"

"You can drop the act. I know who you really are," she said with a hateful tone.

"I-I have no idea w-what you're talking a-about."

"Stop presenting. I know you've replaced Luke so you could spy on Steve for Robert," she accused.

Looking down shamefully, I slowly transformed my appearance back into my true form, confirming Isabelle's accusations.

After about a dozen seconds of hearing nothing from Isabelle, I said "If you're looking to get revenge, just make it quick."

Isabelle observed my appearance carefully, then said "As much as I want to strangle you with all my strength... you're of more use to me alive."

"L-look. If you're e-expecting me to j-join your government... y-you better change those expectations. I-I'm... I can't join y-your side as long as m-my father has any say in I-it."

Isabelle sighed, then said "That's not what I need you for."

"T-then... what is it?"

She thought for a moment, then asked "I'm assuming you know about Rose's crush on Steve?"

"Y-yeah..."

"Tell me. Is there... any chance, any at all, of Steve returning Rose's affections?"

"I... why are you asking me this? W-why not ask Steve yourself?"

"It's a safer bet to ask you than him."

"B-but... how would I be a 's-safer bet'?"

"Because I know you knew him, even before Issac and Dylan adopted him. Trust me, I did my research."