Chapter 15: Sparring Frenemies

A few hours earlier

I stood in front of the large metal entrance to the sparring room, trying to mentally prepare for what was about to come.

My father had been training me every single day since... that day, and just a year ago he started allowing me to spar with his goons. Now, I had enough experience to fight his best soldier.

Said soldier was named Cornelius, or more accurately, Carnage. He was secretly a Knuman, and was working with my father so he could get revenge on somebody called "Knightmare."

I didn't know who that was, but I did know that, apparently, Knightmare did something horrible to Carnage long ago.

Anyways, after having my helmet to form around my head, I looked at the clock inside the helmet's computer. Seeing it said three o' clock, I took a deep breath, then headed into the training room.

The doors automatically opened as I got near them, revealing a completely white simulation room, with the only other thing inside the room being a white man with deep pink eyes, crimson red hair, and a daffodil birthmark on his neck, which symbolized rebirth.

The daffodil birthmark, unlike me, my father's, and Steve's birthmarks, had faded to the point where it was almost impossible to see.

I walked forward a couple steps, and the doors closed by themselves. Then, I kept walking until I was a couple feet away from the man.

"So, you must be Rowan. Robert's younger son," Cornelius said condescendingly.

"B-By five minutes," I mumbled.

"Your father has requested we spar together. Says it'll be a good way for us two to have an actual challenge to fight."

"Y-Yeah, my father's 'goons' aren't very difficult to f-fight."

"And, since I'm feeling generous today, I've decided I won't use my knife of chaos," he said before dropping knife onto the ground.

The knife's appearance resembled the swords of creation in many ways, except it also had crimson red lines on the knife, in a pattern similar to the lines you see on a circuit board.

After the knife hit the floor, a deep pink tendril came out of Cornelius's body, grabbed the knife, and flung it across the room to one of the simulation's walls, just out of bounds so the knife wouldn't be registered as part of the simulation.

Cornelius then stretched his arms out as the simulation started, and our surroundings changed into the appearance of a barren wasteland, with no cities or towns in sight.

"R-Really? No environmental objects," I commented.

"If we want to face Knightmare, we need to be prepared in case we have to fight him in his realm, which is even more empty than this," Cornelius explained as dozens of his tendrils lifted him in the air.

Once he was a couple feet off the ground, he asked "Are you ready?"

"Y-Yeah," I responded as I transformed the right hand for my suit into a hand cannon which resembled a Mega Man blaster.

Cornelius struck first, sending a tendril straight to me, attempting to impale my chest. Before it could, I activated my suit's rocket boots, allowing me to fly above the striking tendril.

After I flew above the tendril, the tendril quickly turned around and followed me. At the same time, Cornelius sent another tendril at me from the opposite direction.