Chapter 16: Like My Father

It had been a little over an hour since I started traveling to the base Steve was posted, and I was reviewing the file on Luke Tinnel over and over again.

"H-High energy... p-protects his allies no matter w-who they are... doesn't l-like to share things about h-himself... dammit. None of this sounds l-like me," I said to myself as I flew above the clouds.

I think you fit the bill for the "doesn't like to share things about himself" thing, Fear commented.

"W-Well, everybody keeps s-secrets. E-Even p-people who don't k-know they shouldn't share e-everything," I replied.

Then why include that in the description?

"B-Because it means he doesn't l-like to share things, p-period... though, I-I'm not sure if it's j-just seriously personal things, or if he doesn't even like sharing h-his interests."

Just go with the flow. And... here's an idea. The first time one of his friends asks for your thoughts on a certain activity or thing to enjoy, don't respond.

If that friend thinks you're acting weird, then that means the guy you're replacing is okay with sharing personal interests.

And if nobody is weirded out, that probably means Luke doesn't like to share his interests, Hope reasoned.

"I-It sounds good, but... what if they figure me out i-immediately, before I e-even get a chance to do a-anything," I asked, my breathing getting heavier than a whale.

Hey, everything's going to be alright. You got this, Hope comforted

"I-Is it? I m-mean... there's s-so much p-pressure on me. If I fail, m-my dad w-will be mad at me. But if I s-succeed, and S-Steve finds out... he'll hate me f-forever."

I hung my head low in silence for a while.

"A-And from what I've heard about S-Steve lately... it sounds like he'll spot m-me instantly."

Hey. Breath. It'll be okay, Hope comforted.

As I did what Hope said, doing the breathing exercise Steve taught me, Fear said I don't think you'll get caught, if that's what you're worried about. If you're anything like your father, you'll be amazing at acting.

After I finished calming myself down, I asked Fear suspiciously "You've been acting awfully nice to me lately. What's up with that?"

Eh, I dunno. Guess I'm just turning over a new leaf.

"Alright..." I could tell he was hiding something, but I just shrugged it off.

...

Hey, the base is coming up. 12 o' clock, Hope informed me.

I looked forward and down, and saw the government base camouflaged as a city. After remembering which building was secretly the crew quarters, I headed to the police station and activated my suit's invisibility mode.

"Now just to hope our guy on the inside managed to do his job," I said to myself.

I flew down to the helicopter pad before quietly landing on it. I then slowly walked to the door that let people go from the helicopter pad the facility.

How much do you think Steve's changed, I asked Hope.

It has been 7 years since you last saw each other, so... probably a lot.

I opened the door to the building, and silently walked down the spiral stairs, occasionally looking down to make sure nobody was coming up.

After a minute, I made it to the bottom of the stairs, which led to another set of spiral stairs, and next to that was an automatic metal door.