Chapter 38: Jealousy's Not Fun

Meanwhile

I pushed open the doors to the bar, and was immediately greeted by a man falling down to the ground, an empty cup of mead in his hands.

Ignoring this, I looked for the others, and saw Dylan sitting down at the third table from the entrance, to the right.

Rose and Issac were already heading up to the stage to sing karaoke, and after attracting enough people's attention, they began to sing.

I walked up to Dylan and sat down across the table from him, noticing he was entranced by the performance of the two singers, or, more likely, just the male's singing.

"You having fun," I asked.

"Yeah, I am," Dylan responded, barely acknowledging me.

"So... where's Isabelle?"

"She went to get Steve."

"Uh-huh..."

I leaned over and waved my hand in front of Dylan's gaze, snapping him out of his trance.

Dylan shook his head, then said "Oh, sorry."

"Don't worry about it. It's fine."

...

"H... has Issac told you?"

"About what?"

"About... me."

"Oh, yeah, he has. Don't worry," Dylan said.

"Rowan," he whispered with a wink.

...

"So, when are you going to tell Steve," Dylan asked.

"I'm planning on doing it later-"

"Wait, Steve's coming. Quick, change the topic," Dylan said, interrupting me.

Quickly, I thought of something that I would never say, then said as childlike as possible "But I want to get so drunk I pass out nowwww."

As Steve and Isabelle approached the table, Dylan said "Not until we get the group photo. It'll be harder to take if one of us is already passed out."

Huh. A group photo? That'll be fun, I thought, right before I turned around and yelled out to Steve and Isabelle "Hey guys!"

Isabelle jokingly acted like she was embarrassed to see us, which I think got a chuckle out of Steve. They then sat down at the table, Isabelle sitting at the right side of the table... and Steve sat down right next to me.

It took all my strength to not act nervous in any way. And it certainly didn't help that there was a long awkward silence.

...

Thankfully, Steve eventually broke the silence, by telling Dylan "You shouldn't be so worried about losing yourself right now. This is a party."

"I know that, it's just... I need to make sure nobody goes overboard with drinking, or anything like that."

"Well, stop worrying about that. A party's for letting loose. Wouldn't you like to fall asleep to your husband's voice," Steve said comfortingly.

"I'm afraid that if I fall asleep to his voice, I may never wake up again," Dylan responded.

"I understand your worry, but please stop thinking like that. You deserve having some leeway every now and then. I mean, you and Issac did have to deal with my bullshit for 7 years."

Steve's joke made me giggle a little, but thankfully he didn't hear.

"Fine, I'll let loose a little. But not until we've taken the group photo," Dylan accepted as the karaoke song started ending.