Chapter 3: My First Friend

I unholstered my gun, but before I even aimed it at the kid he yelled "I-I surrender," while raising his hands up in the air.

Huh. That was easy, I thought.

"What is your business here," I yelled. I was trying to be intimidating, but I didn't do too well.

My hands shook as I aimed the gun. I really didn't want to have to kill another human being this early in my life, let alone another kid.

"M-My mother s-sent me to gather w-water from the r-river," the child responded.

"Y-you see," he continued after a moment. "A d-disease I-is spreading i-in our b-base, and water is one of t-the key ingredients for the c-cure."

I really should just make him go back to where he came from, but...

"Fine. You can continue about your business," I said before holstering my gun.

I continued the process to set up the next bucket, and while doing so I saw the other kid had similar technology to what I had. He had the same hose and everything.

"What's your name," I asked. I honestly don't remember why I asked that.

"W-wait. Y-you don't know my n-name," The kid asked, confused.

"Yeah, there aren't many names of people on your side I remember, other than your father's."

"Oh... M-my name's R-rowan."

Cute name.

...

Wait, why did I think that?

"W-what's y-yours?"

...

"Steve."

"C-cool."

The second bucket finished filling, so I unhooked it and brought it back to the wagon. I then grabbed the next bucket and brought it to the river to prepare it next.

"Y-you know how to p-play guitar," Rowan asked once I got back.

I didn't answer.

"S-sorry. Stupid q-question. Don't know w-why I thought you m-might've."

"I do," I answered.

"Sorry for not answering at first," I continued. "You can probably understand."

Rowan's jaw dropped slightly.

"I-I know how to p-play guitar as well!"

"So are you able to learn things instantly like me," I asked.

"W-well, no. M-my father forces m-me to learn t-things, and I managed to c-convince him t-that guitar helps m-me."

"Yeah, that makes sense," I replied, just now realizing Rowan was slouching.

The next bucket was finished, so I brought it back to the wagon to exchange buckets.

When I came back, Rowan was looking down at the river; seemingly deep in thought.

As I hooked up the next bucket, he said "I-it's probably dumb that I say t-this, b-but... w-well... I-I don't really l-like my d-dad much. M-my mom I'm o-okay with, b-but father..."

"Honestly, I don't blame you. I've heard he's pretty bad."

"D-don't get me wrong. I-I still love him, b-but... he's never around and c-constantly h-has some of h-his "minions" teach me t-things. At l-least my b-brother t-teaches me sometimes."

After a moment, I asked "Can I tell you a secret?"

Rowan nodded.

"I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but with my father. He's never around, and I always have to rely on myself to learn things. Though," I said, chuckling. "I don't exactly need help."

I anxiously grabbed the dirt around me, though I was unsure why at the time.

"Don't get me wrong, learning things is easy for me, but... I'd just like one time where he teaches me something, you know?"

"I-is that why y-you were looking at the d-deer and f-fawn like that," Rowan asked.

Huh. Honestly didn't expect him to be able to see that far, I thought, but in a different voice. Strangely, it didn't feel like I was the one thinking it, if that makes any sense.

"Yeah... you were watching me?"

"Y-yeah. I was k-kind of nervous about t-talking to y-you. S-sorry."

"Don't be. It's understandable."

My heart fluttered.

The next bucket was finished, so I unhooked it and right before turning to the wagon, I said "Sorry for pulling the gun on you."

Once I got back, we spent the next few minutes making conversation while filling up our buckets until we were both finished. Once I loaded the last bucket, I turned around and said "Goodbye. Hope I see you again."

I then tried to push the wagon, but struggled to move it up the small curve. After a minute of trying to push it, I thought I made some progress, but when I looked at the ground, it hadn't budged at all.

"Come on... you stupid... stubborn little..."

I tried to push the wagon with full force, but ended up tripping. After I lifted my head out of the dirt, I noticed Rowan we offering his hand to pull me up.

"I don't need help," I said stubbornly.

"S-sure looks like y-you do," he joked, pulling me up.

"I mean it."

"Y-yeah, s-sure."

"I'm serious. You could get into trouble if you help me."

"I-I'll just stop pushing a couple m-minutes before we get there, and then I'll h-head back."

"I... fine."

We began pushing against the wagon together, and I was shocked by how much easier it had become. In fact... I didn't seem to be doing anything.

Rowan was doing all the work, and he wasn't even breaking a sweat.

How...?

14 minutes later

We had made it to just outside the zone where the scouts would be able to see us from the camp, so Rowan suddenly stopped pushing, and stepped back.

"Just so you know, that's the last time I'll let you help me."

"S-sure," Rowan said with a smirk.

Rowan seemed taller than earlier. Now that I think about it, his back wasn't hunched anymore.

I ship them. Nothing more.