-FIRE-

• • •

• • •

you were the hardest lesson I ever had to learn

• • •

"LOOK AT ME WHEN I TALK TO YOU, LILIAN!"

"One day, those little demons you call powers will be the death of you!"

"You are a murderer, Rose!"

Rose held out her frozen hands, snapping her fingers and making fire erupt from her nails. The tip of her hair smoked as her eyes turned fire red.

Robert's fist colliding with her stomach; Marisse's knife going on her arm; Fire burning her living room as painful tears shed on her cheeks; Her mother's body falling to the ground; James's final scream as he tried to save his family...

"Wait, don't!" She screamed, reaching her hand to the wolf. Too late, the wolf has opened his large mouth and dug his deep into the right side of the girl's torso. A piercing excruciating screech filled the air as the past Rose's eyes opened, trashing around the floor.

Rose tried to open her eyes as she felt the air return to her lungs. She had no idea where she was, her heightened senses had failed her, she heard hazy voices as if she were underwater, and her vision was blurry. All she could do was smell. She smelled cologne with eucalyptus and mint. It felt familiar.

She was lying down on something soft, possibly a bed. As her eyes fluttered shut again, she ran her hands over the duvet. The pounding in her head had subsided significantly.

She forced her eyes to open back again, but when she tried to rub her hands against them, she realized her hands felt rough against her skin. Perhaps not rough, but she didn't feel skin, it felt like fabric. Rose focused, the little she could, on her hands and realized they were bandaged. Looking up, she recognised exactly where she was. 

"What happened?" Rose wondered, her voice raspy and itchy. Her sad green eyes traveled upwards to the three boys staring down at her; the same three boys that had saved her the last time she had fainted. This time, however, there were no diagnostic spells floating above her.

"Shouldn't you be the one to tell us that?" Adrian Pucey asked, his arms were crossed and he had a hard look in his eyes, nothing like the look he had given her the day she had used Dark Magic for the first time. 

It came back to her slowly, almost as if the sound of Adrian's voice was unlocking her memories. Rose saw Molly Darcy's terrified face in front of her as everything around her went up in flames; she felt the tingling in her fingers coming back when she summoned the fire around her and she recalled the way a curse was thrown on her back.

"Is Molly-"

"She's alright," Cassius Warrington said, reaching to his side and handing her a mug filled with water. Rose downed the water, coughing a bit and sitting up straighter. "She went into a sort of dreamy state but she'll be alright."