Chapter 9

"Thanks for bringing me home" I said as I got out of Niall's car.

"My pleasure" he grinned. "See you tomorrow?" he asked and my heart swelled up with happiness because at least I know that he'll be going to school tomorrow.

"Yeah. Tomorrow." I smiled. I stood there for another minute, just enjoying Niall's presence before saying goodbye one last time and turning around, walking back into my house.

I listened to Niall's car drive off before entering the house. As soon as I shut the door, I turned around and all the blood drained from my face as I came face-to-face with my parents.

My mother has her arms crossed over her chest and my father looked like he has no idea what he's doing there.

"Hi mum, hi dad" I said, trying to act normal.

"Where were you this morning?" My mother snapped. My heart started beating fast in nervousness but I told myself to stay calm.

"In school" I said, trying to sound matter-of-factly.

"Oh really?" my mother asked as she squinted her eyes at me. 

"Karen, if the boy says he was in school then it probably means he was in school" my dad sighed. I wonder how he was able to put up with my mum.

"It's true. I had calculus first then physics then health class and the English class..." I continued telling her my schedule.

"And who was that boy who dropped you off?" my mother asked.

"It was Niall, remember him? He was here a couple of days ago" I reminded her.

"Didn't I tell you not to hang out with him? He might give you bad grades!" my mother said. My dad sighed once more and put a hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

"Karen, let Liam choose his own friends. They might not be that bad" dad said and once again, I found myself wanting to kneel on my knees and thank him.

"But he only has a couple of days left! I don't want his grades going down just because he's dying!"

I gulped as my mother mentioned the fact that I will be dying. She's partially right. I only have months left and Niall and the others have no idea. 

I've grown up with no one to be with. No one to laugh with. No one to share memories with. And my mother still doesn't want me to hang out with anybody?

"Seriously? What's the harm in having friends? I only have less than a year left and I'd like to spend it with someone this time. You have no idea how is it like to grow up alone. It's my life that I'm risking and it's my stupid choices that I'll be taking. Dad is right. I can pick my own friends and I'd like to spend my remaining days with them" I said, trying not to shout while I have my fists clenched.

"Liam, don't talk to me like that!" my mother said,

"I'm only telling the truth. Niall is a good kid. A nice kid. And I will hang out with him whenever I want" I said before storming off to my room.

"LIAM!" my mother shouted but I heard my dad shush her.

"He’s a teenager Karen and he's right, didn’t you have friends when you were younger?" my dad asked. He's right. Didn’t my mum have friends when she was younger? So why the hell is she stopping me from making friends.

I sighed and slammed the door shut, forgetting about the outside world. I plopped on my bed and opened my laptop. I wish I had Facebook or twitter or a phone at least to talk to Niall but my mum says I don't need any of those.

I sighed one more and stared at the ceiling. Why am I so desperate to talk to Niall? Maybe it's his cerulean eyes, obviously dyed blond hair, his laughter, his pale skin. I gulped, oh the things I could do to his skin.