Chapter 2

Darkness. Never ending darkness.

People say that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes. And that's what made me even more miserable; the fact that the only thing I saw before I died was me watching everyone else make friends and have fun while I lock myself up in my own cage. A cage I built myself.

I don't know how long I was in the pitch black world but then suddenly, I heard familiar voice and then I saw a fade light slowly growing brighter, like a candle.

Next thing I knew is that I was on a bed in what looks like a hospital and my mother and my father and a doctor were around me.

The first thing I thought of was "oh great, I'm still alive" and I didn't meant that in a very happy way.

"LIAM!" my mum screamed and started kissing my face and I did my best not groan.

"Karen, he just woke up, don't startle him" my dad said and I was grateful he did. I looked around and noticed that I was connected to many transparent tubes and that there were a bunch of cards on the table beside me.

'What are those?" I croaked. Oh crap, my voice sounds horrible.

"Cards from your former classmates" my mum smiled and my heart started beating faster. Did my peers actually think of me? Did they actually care? Were they even aware of my existence?

I grabbed a nice pink enveloped and as I opened it, I noticed that it was from Danielle. She was a nice girl, when I mean nice I meant that she never paid attention to me.

It said: Hi Liam, you didn't have to kill yourself -Danielle.

Kill myself? Who said I killed myself?

I read the others and they all said the same: I hope you live; I guess and are you still alive? And I didn't know you were suicidal.

I sighed. There wasn't even a single letter that said that they missed me or that they wanted to be my friend but was too shy to speak to me.

"Mr. and Mrs. Payne" the doctor interrupter and my parents both looked at him, "I have good and bad news"

Bad news? The worst news is that I'm still alive.

"Good news is that Liam is in perfect condition and he can go back to school tomorrow" the doctor said and I immediately sat up from my bed, groaning slightly as my bones cracked.

"School?" I asked.

"You’ve been in a concussion for more than 3 months sweetie" my mum said, looking concerned.

"3 months?" I asked.

"School started last week" dad said and my jaw almost dropped on the ground. No wonder everybody thought I was dead! Suddenly, I remembered the doctor and looked at him.

"What's the bad news?" I asked.

"You only have one year to live" he said and my mum almost screamed if my dad didn't shut her up.

"What?" I whispered harshly, "I thought you said I was in perfect condition!"

"You are" he said, "as of now". "Your heart managed to survive but only merely. It is struggling to pump your blood back and forth and we all diagnosed it and came to the conclusion that you will live for another 365 days" the doctor said.

I don't know if I should be happy that I'm still gonna live or be miserable. 

"You've been given a second chance Liam, don't take it for granted" the doctor said, nodding at me like he knew my dull life story.