Chapter 24

"So, what are your plans for Christmas?" Niall asks everyone around the table while sipping from my water bottle.

"Well, I'm going with my mum and sisters to this ski lodge" Louis says proudly.

"I'm probably just gonna smoke all Christmas" Zayn shrugged. That's certainly something he would do.

"I'm going to Paris with Nick!" Harry says cheerfully. I know that he said that he and Nick are only having a fling but I feel like their relationship is getting more serious.

"What about you two?" Zayn asks.

"Niall is going on a holiday cruise with me and my family" I say proudly, beaming at all of them.

"I'm guessing it worked out with your parents then" Harry said and Niall and I both nodded.

"Congrats!" Louis smiled. His anger over our absence was quickly diminished by a couple of pranks and a treat to Nando's.

"So is everything alright now? No more pesky students or teachers who will threaten to tell Liam's parents?" Zayn asks and we both shake our heads.

"Speaking of Christmas plans! Let's have a Christmas party in my house on the last day of school, before we depart from each other! Just the 5 of us" Harry says, smiling at all of us.

"And how do we know that some crazy Santa who wants to kill us won't jump out of nowhere?" Louis asked, peering closely at Harry.

"It's a Christmas Party for Pete's sake! It's all about love and gratefulness. Why would I hire a person to act like a psychopath Santa and kill you?" Harry asks innocently and we just all roll our eyes.

"But there's one condition though" Harry smiles and we all groan. "You guys are over-reacting. We each have to give everyone a gift PLUS we’re gonna play Secret Santa! I'll write our names on a piece of paper, mix it up. We each pick a paper and give that special someone a gift! So we'll all have 2 gifts each" Harry beams.

"That's actually pretty nice" I say and everyone else agreed.

"How about we start picking now?" Harry says. He grabbed a notebook from his bag, ripped a page, ripped the pieces and wrote each of our names on a piece of paper. He jumbled them up before smiling at us. "Pick one and don't tell anyone"

We each got a piece of paper. I opened mine and suppressed a smile as I saw that I got Niall. I would gladly give him 2 gifts, more than even.

I looked at everyone's stoic expressions. I wonder who Niall got.

"Well that's nice" Louis spoke up. I kept the paper in my pocket and just resumed eating. The problem is what should I give Niall?

"Why do I feel like I forgot something?" Niall suddenly said out of the blue.

"Was it your homework?" Harry asks.

"No. I think it's about Liam" Niall says, giving me a confused look. About me? Maybe he had forgotten my birthday. 

And then it hit me.

He forgot that I was dying.

"I don't know" I shrug. It hurts me to lie to Niall but what he does not remember won't kill him.

"Okay then" Niall shrugs and stuffs a mouthful of fries in his mouth.

We were walking towards our next class when Niall pulled me back from the rest of the group. Louis, Zayn and Harry turned around and raised an eyebrow at us.

"I just need to talk to Liam, go on" Niall says and they just nod and continue walking.

"What’s up?" I ask. Niall looks tensed as he leaned against a locker.