Heartache: Part Three

Before you know it, you're heading into Colorado that night. It's a ten hour drive from the motel you were staying in, so it's night time by the time you arrive in the other state. Joanna is sleeping in her car seat, and Zeus is resting on your lap. He feels more protective of you, you can tell. He senses there are two humans growing inside your body, so he feels the need to put your needs above Sam and Dean's.

He's more perceptive and smarter than you thought he was going to be.

"Alright, the case is coming together. Things are coming together, man. You, me, and Y/N. It is all good." Dean says to break the silence, but the younger Winchester doesn't say anything. "Hey."

"What?"

"What are you thinking about, organic tomatoes?"

"Uh, I'm not thinking about anything."

"Yeah, and I'm not a witch," you roll your eyes.

"I don't know about you, but this last year has given me a new perspective. I know it has for Y/N as well."

"I hear you. Believe me."

"I know where I'm at my best, and that is right here, driving down Crazy Street next to you two."

"Makes sense."

"Okay, Sam, what is going on with you. Don't make me read your mind," you half-threaten.

"Maybe you two don't need me. I mean, maybe you're at your best hacking and slicing your way through all the world's shit, not having to explain yourself to anybody."

"Yeah, that makes sense, seeing as I have so many other brothers I can talk to about this stuff."

"You have Y/N." Sam sighs after taking a pause. "Look, I'm not saying I'm bailing on you two. I'm just saying make room for the possibility that we want different things. I mean, I want my time to count for something."

"So, what we do doesn't count?" you ask.

Sam doesn't have time to respond back because Dean's phone rings. It cuts through the tension, and he picks it up while driving.

"Yeah? ... Hey, Dr. Kashi."

"I know what you meant, Sam," you whisper to him so Dean doesn't hear.

"Do you?"

"I see the way you look at me and Dean and Joanna. You want a family, I get it. But I think Dean and I have proven that it's possible you can have both."

"Uh, could you run one more name for me?" Dean says just as you pull back from Sam. "Hayes, Paul. ... Uh-huh. And the donor? ... Seriously? How many others? ... Did anybody from Boulder, Colorado, receive any of those organs? ... Okay, thank you."

"What did she say?" you ask.

"Well, this is gonna ruffle some feathers. She says that both Paul Hayes' kidney and Arthur Swenson's new eye came from Brick Holmes."

"You don't mean the Brick Holmes."

"I do."

"Who is Brick Holmes?" you ask, kept in the dark.

"Are you kidding me? You don't know who the all-pro quarterback is?" Dean asks, shocked.

"Does it look like I do?" you roll your eyes.

"The guy played at the top of his game for like a million years. He died in a car crash last year."

"He must've signed a donor card. Did the doc say how many organs he donated?" Sam says.

"Including our two suspects? Eight."

"Eight?" you ask, completely shocked. "Okay, um, and one of them's in Boulder, right?"