Chapter 103 - Extra 8: That Weibo ID Affair

The verified Weibo account ‘Oblique Shadows Sending Me to a Light Sleep’ was on the hot search list recently. Though most of the people searching for this particular Weibo ID was Ke MuZi’s fans.

Through it was surprising to find that this grassrootsV account actually had 8 million fans on Weibo. Many bored netizens tried analyzing the account’s followers and realized with great shock that the account’s followers were all live accounts. In an era where even the most popular stars only had 5.6 million real fans while the rest were zombie accounts, this ‘Oblique Shadows Sending Me to a Light Sleep’ can be considered a top Weibo celebrity.

What’s more, this ID wasn’t a marketing account. It’s been passed around that after the account became popular, several marketing accounts reached out to the owner and tried to sign them in. However, the blogger seemed to be quite rich. There was a time where the blogger had been so annoyed with all the solicitations they were receiving that they directly posted a pinned comment that read-

‘I already have plenty of money. I’m not selling this account, so you all can just scram.’

As a result, this person had been dubbed ‘The First Person to Show Off His Wealth in Weibo’ for a while. The account had been criticized by a lot of sour people, but of course, it also attracted plenty of fans.

As for how this account came to be, no one could tell.

It seems that this Weibo account first gained traction back during Rong City’s No.12 High School scandal. The story about the school’s fraudulent vice-principal had been one of the top ten hot searches of that year. However, there were many other bloggers involved in the incident at the time, and ‘Oblique Shadows Sending Me to a Light Sleep’ had primarily focused on mocking the vice-principal, rather than providing evidence.

After that, the blogger began to post funny one-liners and sarcastic quips. Every time he did this, it would lead to viral memes or trends that would inevitably become that year’s most talked-about subject. Gradually, more and more people started following this Weibo ID. But as the account grew larger, the unknown blogger behind this account became more and more low-key. The blogger never posted any sponsored advertisements, and they never participated in any online celebrity events either. So far, their identity was a complete mystery.

The more mysterious the blogger was, the more curious the netizens would be. What’s more, despite this account’s talents, its blogger never considered cashing in. Nobody even knew what this mysterious person looked like.

The profile picture? Of course, it was nothing but a random drawing.

Honestly, Zheng PingQing himself didn’t expect his account’s immense popularity.

Back then, he had spent a small sum of money and bought this verified account simply to ridicule and roast Huo PingChuan and his son. Zheng PingQing had predicted that after taking over this Weibo ID, the account would gradually become one of the countless anonymous accounts on the website. After all, he didn’t rely on this to eat, and he couldn’t be bothered to try and properly manage his Weibo account or anything like that.

As the marketing industry began to evolve, marketing accounts and social media celebrities began to pop up. Popular accounts became the new hot marketing tactic, and in this new era of countless internet stars, many gladly sold their Weibo accounts that had hundreds of thousands of fans for good money.

So when Zheng PingQing first noticed the slow rise of his followers, he didn’t think much of it. Accounts that had a few hundred thousand followers wasn’t anything noteworthy.

But to Zheng PingQing’s surprise, his account began to reach the hot search list more and more often. It became popular, then famous, then prominent, until…it became an incredibly huge hit. The account became the first amongst the grassroots to become a huge online celebrity, and he even won a title- ‘One of the Top Trendsetters in the Internet Age.’