⁹ Hopelessly

There was this huge silence blanketing them in an atmosphere of despair. The omnipresent smell of disinfectant invaded their tranquillity in disguise. She casted a weak smile and motioned him to sit near her.

It wasn't rocket science to guess what the older is suffering from when she is under the treatment of one of the best oncologists.
Jungkook struggled to breathe and sat next to her, holding her hands ever so gently.

"How long have you been here?" Jungkook asked.

" I only came an hour ago. Jimin is with Tae. Don't worry." Mrs Kim said assuredly.

" You know that's not what I want to know. How long have you been under his treatment?" Jungkook enquired with a pained expression.

" Since one year..... and now you can guess where and how I met you." The older heaved a deep sigh to which Jungkook nodded silently.

Jungkook often visited Jin before the younger was announced as the CEO and in a way spent ample time with some of the patients, providing them comfort and sometimes financial support from selling his own artworks.

"But I have never seen you before." Jungkook said puzzled.

" It's because I never got admitted here. I really abhor this place and the smell is intolerable." Mrs. Kim giggled suppressing the irritation she felt from the cannula pricking at her skin.

Jungkook noticed this and soothingly circled her skin like he had done to many others to calm them down.

" But I have seen you helping others, crying silently crouching at the corners whenever they were dense and suffering. I have been ethically stalking you for an year Jungkook-ie. Now you got why this insanely sick woman want you for my Tae." Her eyes welled up with tears.

" Does he know?" She shook her head.

" He can't know about this. He will literally die before me.... but Jimin knows." She hummed.

" Kimchima. Please don't leave us." Jungkook pleaded with teary eyes.

"Who said I'm leaving everyone?" the older held his hands.

Jungkook loved this woman as his own. He of course is grateful for his family but whatever they do to him for his own good left him with nothing but hollow togetherness.

His grandparents are really strict to him and always concerned about how he grows into a fine gentleman.

The only thing his own grandmother told him with a little bit of emotion was to sit straight and not to leave crumbling marks on his shirt and not to play in dirt or sand because that makes him less in goody shoes.

Every of her statements started with a Don't or ended in a negative firmness. It would have worked on a 24 year old Jungkook but telling this to a four or five year old made indifference to affection or concern or whatever they call it.

From the occasional kisses on cheeks and the sneaky sparky remarks from the older made her extremely close to his heart. Maybe it's the Kim's family gene to which Jungkook is attracted so boundlessly.

" You are not taking chemotherapy, radiation or any of the treatments?" Jungkook arched his eyebrows sorrowfully.

" Nuh. I love my hair even though it's grey."

" You really don't care about us." Jungkook harshly wiped his cheeks.

" I do. I'm putting you all before me. And hospital beds are not my thing." She winked at him.

"Tae was right. You are being a manner less wicked old selfish woman."

" I will pretend I didn't hear that." Both of them slightly sneered at each other.