Ch.53 What's Left To Lose

-Previously on Sense Of Peace -

I laughed at the stories Maryse told about Alec as a baby and many happy memories. It was nice to see her enjoying herself after everything that had happened. The evening was going smoothly. For now anyway. 

Alec's POV

"You too sure know how to host!" Mother complimented us. We smiled. "Oh I didn't really do much, it was all Alec." Ria said holding my hand. "Really? I'm amazed at the stew. Who knew you could cook?" she gave me a surprised look. "I've made this for you before, remember?" I say with pride. Her eyes soften. "Ah yes how could I forget!" she exhales turning to Aria. "Alec and Isabelle made this for me when they were kids. The look on their faces when they brought it to me... it still warms my heart. But by the angel.... that stew still gives me nightmares" she sighed.

"Wait what? I thought you loved that stew?" I frown. "I do now! Whatever you did to the recipe, its unrecognisable!" She chuckled. I see Ria biting her lips with guilt in her eyes. Of course. she mouthed 'sorry' to me. 

"Anyone care for a digestif?" Ria stood up offering. "Thank you dear but I'm good. I'm probably embarrassing Alec as it is" mother declines lightly laughing. "Never! In fact I enjoy hearing those stories" She smiles. 

"I'll probably never hear the end of it mother" I laughed

"I'll probably never hear the end of it mother" I laughed. "But we are glad to see you in such high spirits, we though you might be upset with the divorce and everything" I say softly bring up the topic despite planning not to. 

Aria's POV 

I glance at Alec wondering why he brought up the topic, he looked like he was trying to search for answers. I saw Maryse eye's sadden. Her smile disappeared. Oh dear. Something's definitely wrong. 

She set her glass down. "I've made peace with the divorce. But you're instincts are right. I do have some upsetting news...I was hoping Isabelle and Jace would've been hear too. But it's important and you need to hear it." She sighed. I felt my chest tighten. Alec anxiously look at his mother waiting for her to continue. 

"In light of Malachi's coup, the clave has reopened it's investigation into former circle members" She says sadly. "What? But you had nothing to do with it!!" Alec says in confusion. "It doesn't matter, based on a reviews of my actions in the circle, the clave has classified me as a traitor." Her voice cracks.