Chapter Thirty Two

The next morning was complete and utter hell.

My hand was bruised and I was in pain by the time I woke up. I had took some meds to kill the pain but it was still hurting, which made me realize that it was going to hurt the rest of the day.

When I woke up, I had a lot of texts from Adeline. I couldn't count how many I had but I knew they couldn't be good, which made me not want to open them.

I knew that when I saw her in school, I would have to explain everything and I wasn't going to hold back. I was going to tell her every single thing Waylen said and how he said it, making everything as clear as possible.

And if she wants to choose him over me, then I was done.

I'm not letting a woman choose someone else over me cause that's not how it works in my book.

I've been on my own for way too long to know that I don't need anyone and their bullshit.

I already had a bad feeling about them to begin with and it's all going to come crashing down as soon as we start talking.

Paisley was outside this morning and she slid into the passenger seat as I was letting my car warm up. It was getting a little colder outside and the weather was amazing.

Halloween was in two days.

Paisley's birthday was next week.

"What are you doing for Halloween?" I ask as I was backing out of the driveway. I closed the garage door before getting onto the road then leaving.

"My mom wants us to go out and trick or treat." I saw her roll her eyes. "I'm too old for that."

I chuckle as I glanced at her before looking back at the road. "Free candy."

"But didn't our parents tell us never take candy from a stranger?"

As I looked at the road, I glanced over at her before seeing her staring at me and I made a face before nodding. "That's true but still it's a holiday and candy." I smile.

"I guess." She sighs before looking out the window. "She's bringing her boyfriend."

"Oh fun." I said sarcastically, which made her chuckle.

"I refuse to call him dad or anything." She looks at me. "I'll call him stupid face or bastard."

"Watch your mouth." I said as she laughs. I shook my head before pulling into the middle school and parking. "Have a great day."

She smiles over at me. "You too, Kai. My mom is picking me up so you don't have to. One more week until you meet her."

"I know." I smile. "Be good today."

After she left, I drove out of the parking lot and headed towards the high school. I saw Rose standing at her car when I pulled up next to her before shutting the engine off.

My hand was starting to hurt more now and I'm glad Paisley didn't see it. I had it hidden well cause it's my left hand and I was placing it at my side near the door.

I was trying not to let Rose see it but it was impossible cause when we were walking inside the building, I heard her gasp before grabbing my wrist and looking at my hand.

"What the hell happened!?"

"I punched Waylen."

She looks at me as her jaw was almost hanging to the floor. She looks back at my hand and examines it before shaking her head, meeting my eyes.

"Why?"

"He was being the same asshole he was years ago. He was saying shit that pushed me over the edge."