Chapter Five

I woke up to the sound of a lawn mower out my window and I stretched before feeling something against my face.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Rose's foot in front of me before quickly pushing it away and seeing her laying sideways on top of me.

I roll my eyes before getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom to do my business. I brushed my hair before walking out to the kitchen to make breakfast.

Stretching my back, I look at the clock on the stove and saw nine in green neon lights. I sighed before pulling out the items to make pancakes this morning.

As I was making the pancakes, I kept hearing the lawn mower outside. I knew it was probably Paisley's grandfather cause he likes mowing on Saturdays.

When everything was done, I covered the pancakes as I placed them in a plate then made some coffee. I grabbed a cup, poured me some coffee and added my creamer before walking outside.

The morning sun was definitely bright and I shielded my eyes as I look around before seeing my neighbor on his lawn mower.

I smiled before walking over and sipping my coffee before stopping near the fence. I watch him come back around until he saw me and I saw a smile on his face as he shut the engine off.

"Good morning, Kai!" He said with a smile.

"Morning. How are you?"

He took out a cloth from his shirt pocket and wiped his face. "Can't complain. Just doing my early morning mowing."

"I see that." I smile.

After a moment, I look over and saw his wife walk out of the house. She saw me and smiles before walking towards the fence, standing a few feet away from me.

"Kai, good morning. I hope Frank didn't wake you up with his lawn mower."

Smiling at her, I shook my head. "No ma'am." I saw her smile before looking over at her husband when he said something. "Where's Paisley?" I ask.

"She's with her mom." I nod as I look over at Frank before looking back at her. "She stayed with her yesterday and she's keeping her this weekend."

Nodding, I took a sip of my coffee. "How's Paisley feeling about all of this?"

They knew that Paisley tells me things about her mom. I don't always ask about her cause she hasn't been in Paisley's life at all up until now.

"She's trying to trust her mom again but she's struggling." She sighs. "I love my daughter to death but the path she has chosen just messed us all up." She shook her head before looking over at her husband, then looking back at me. "I just want her to do right. She's always been on the wrong side of the tracks. She had Paisley at a young age," She places her hand over her chest. "young to me anyways."

"How old was she?"

She looks over at her husband then back at me, trying to remember. "She had just turned seventeen. She was still in high school." She shook her head. "When I found out, I told her that she will continue her education no matter what. She did graduate but after Paisley was born, it seemed as though she didn't care anymore. She never wanted anything to do with Paisley and dropped her off with us all the time."

I look over at Frank as he was saying something, "She started drinking soon after but didn't fully abandon Paisley until she was nine."

Hearing this makes me hate her mom even more and I didn't know the woman.

How could someone abandon their child?

I feel bad for Paisley and I knew it was a long road to trusting her mom again.