From one overthinker to another... stop thinking

There's this saying where I come from, well it's not really a saying but it's something I say to my sister and friends a lot.

"It's not that deep"

Sometimes, it is. You need to think really hard to solve a math equation or figure out a riddle. You need to think really hard to decide what choice you want to make or how you want to have a serious conversation.

But from one over thinker to another not everything is that deep and sometimes you actually need to stop thinking.

You've prayed about it, talked about it, written about it, girl you even spoke to your pastor about it. Staying up all night wondering whether or not you did something correctly or constantly worrying about embarrassing yourself will do you no good. It's harsh but it's something you need to hear.

Thinking about an exam won't make you pass it. Worrying about your future won't make it perfect. Worrying about your presentation won't make it any better. Thinking about the past won't fix it.

Even Jesus said something like this in the bible,

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?
Matthew 6:25

26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?
Matthew 6:26

27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
Matthew 6:27 (NLT)

I know it's not easy. It's not something you can just stop doing all of a sudden. But its something you need to try to stop. You need to consciously make the decision every day not to think too hard about things. And Jesus can definitely help with that.

Talking to him about your insecurities and worries helps. There's nothing quite like the peace you'll feel after and the relief because you know that you don't have to handle everything alone. God is with you.

You also need to actively fight negative thoughts. People fight them differently but consistent bible studies also help.

You can also watch sermons that talk about faith. There are tons of sermons online that you can check out. You can send me a pm of you want any links.

Good, uplifting music is also something that can calm you down. You can listen to Christin music to put you in a good mood and remind you that God is in control.

Remember that overthinking isn't something you can fix in a day. Its also important to look on the bright side, the fact that you think so much is probably the reason why you're able to pick out the best alternative or make the best decision.

But too much of everything isn't good and that definitely applies to thinking.

Fight back. When anxious thoughts creep in tell yourself "Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world"(1 John 4:4 NLT ) or "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil for thou art with me" (psalm 23:4 RSV) Tell yourself that you'll be ok no matter the outcome.

Life isn't a constant do or die affair where making the wrong decision or messing something up could possibly destroy you. Though there are dangerous scenarios sometimes, it's important to remember that God wouldn't put us in a situation he couldn't get us out of. Even if you make a mistake or embarrass yourself, it isn't the end of the world.

"In the end everything will be ok and if it isn't ok, it's not the end"

I saw that quote on a friend's status in secondary school. I was prepping for an exam in the middle of the night and juggling a lot of things at the time. I don't think a single quote has ever calmed me down like that one does. So now I'm sharing it with you.

God knows you're human, he knows you're not perfect and he loves you anyway.

It might not feel like it now or when you're thinking about how you're going to get through it all but you'll be alright ♥️  No situation is permanent.

~ Anne :)
Truewriter2020