The Hyderabadi Ghar (IV)

Start from the beginning

Afreen skipped upto her and gave her a sly smirk. "Yes, you are officially registered as a married couple in Allah's records now."

Mahjabeen's cheeks flared with red and she hid her face beneath her palms. Mariya nudged her sides and wiggled her eyebrows at her. "Oho, Mahjabeen bhabhi, haan? I heard that Shahzeb's room has been bedecked with countless roman-aah, I mean with a loooot of roses and enchanting candles." Mariya claimed naughtily, getting elbowed in the abdomen by Arooba in between, before finishing her goofy comment.

"Aisa mat chidhao meri bahoo ku tumlogan. Aisa khoobsurat Chand ka tukda hai yeh toh. Ma Shaa Allah, bahut Noor aaya meri beti ke chehre pe." Fariha, Shahzeb's mother skittishly scolded the girls. She cupped Mahjabeen's face and kissed her forehead motherly. "Shahzeb toh pagal ho jaaney wala hai."

The hushed whisper of their aunt brought out the savage hoots and an obstinate blush on Mahjabeen's face. Huma added to her misery by remarking out loud.

"Shahzeb bhai told me make her wear these anklets that he bought for their wedding." She then waved the velvety box in front of them and Afreen pounced at it, revealing the bright golden, glimmering ornament. Mariya flashed a tricksy smile at Mahjabeen and opened her mouth to drop a cheesy tag.

"Arooba..." Mahjabeen whined before that and flailed her arms to get Arooba to her. Arooba smiled slightly and Mahjabeen wound her arms around her waist, hiding herself from their devilish eyes. She slid down a soothing hand on Mahjabeen's back and playfully glared at her cousins. Huma then shook her head at her antiques and hunkered down, gracefully tying the anklets around the bride's soft ankles.

Mahjabeen peered at the new addition with chary eyes, and after admiring them she hid back in Arooba's arms. Everyone in the room broke out hearty chuckles.

"Arooba..." Mahjabeen whined yet again.

⠄・ ⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄⠂⋆ ・ ⠄

"Lady, sit still! Agar meku ghussa aagaya toh bhootni bana detiun tumaku." Gauhar chided Huma for moving so freakishly. Huma gave her a sheepish smile and adjusted her lehenga near her feet yet another time.

"Bana do, Gauhar. Kuch to action rehna Shaadi mein. Poore auntiy'aan cheekhte hue bhaage to kya maza aajainga!" Meher evilly smiled at her suggestion, and urged Gauhar to smudge the eyeliner. "Accha nai bhai. Ab nai hiltiun main, lagao tumara."

Gauhar expertly rubbed the soft brushes and shimmers on her cousin's faces, bringing out their charismatic looks. After squealing and hugging Gauhar, Huma ran out after slipping on her heels.

At the moment, Gauhar and Meher were the only ones left. Meher stayed back to assist Gauhar with her own makeup, while the shy lady got into a panicking mess, glancing at the time again and again. "Chill, Gauhar. Apni behen ki hi shaadi hai, itna ghabraaney ki zarurat nai hai."

Meher comforted her, plopping down on the plushy matress. "Aur agar widaai ho bhi gayi, to Mahjabeen yeh ich ghar ku aaney waaley hai." She snickered.

Gauhar elegantly tied her cream scarf around her mesmerizing face, and secured it with a pink stone-studded pin. She applied a last streak of gloss and swiveled on her feet to Meher. "Woah! Ma Shaa Allah. Faskilas dikhrey tum, Gauhar!"

Meher clapped her hands and Gauhar smiled sweetly in response. She picked her clutch, threw in a few stuff in case of emergencies and scurried towards the bed, to wear her cream stilettos. "Ek chuwwey marney ki bottle bhi rakhlo, Gauhar. Kya malum kab zurrat padh jayingi?"

Gauhar gave a sour look at her gross suggestion and strapped her sandals. She hastily opened the door and was taken aback at Talha's presence, whose hand stopped mid-way towards the knob.