The Hyderabadi Ghar (IV)

BismiAllahiArRahmaniArRaheem

The uncles, Qazi, and some of the boys walked to the room and crouched down beside a quivering Mahjabeen with all the official papers

The uncles, Qazi, and some of the boys walked to the room and crouched down beside a quivering Mahjabeen with all the official papers. Afreen chewed on her nails and her eyes roamed all over the place in uttermost nervousness. The Qazi solemnly asked Mahjabeen a life-changing question and every breath halted in anticipation of her answer.

"Qabool hai." She meekly whispered.

After mumbling a sincere gratitude to Allah, Faisal positioned her hand that held the pen to a sign slot. She hastily signed, occasionally kinkling her bangles with it and was lovingly kissed by her father on her head. Ja'far, Shoaib and Zahid held sombre expressions with no hint of mirth in their eyes in that moment.

While rising up from their places, Shoaib's eyes clashed with Afreen's and her assault on her nails came to a screeching halt. He stared into her eyes, conveying something which he didn't know how to put into words and Afreen's heart erratically drummed in her chest. After some of the men exited the room, Shoaib drawed closer to Afreen and only stared into her eyes.

"K-kya hua? Aisa kyun ghoor re hamaku? Hum Mahjabeen ku kuch bhi nai karey, kuch bole bhi nai, I swear." She stammered out, letting her brain flee to the Himalayas at how he intently studied her eyes. "Kya hai, Shoaib? You're making me nervous."

He crossed his arms on his chest and tilted his head at her rant, crunching his brows. He just handed his beloved sister over to a man and it was bound for him to not be in his right senses. His eyes painted her light green Hijab lightly wrapped around her milky skin, the shimmery eye lids, the golden-pink cheeks, the light-pink plump lips, the chocolate-brown irises that stared back at him into his heart. Taking it all in through his deep gaze.

"Ahem-Ahem! Abbhi meku Mahjabeen 'Qabool hai' bole waisa dikha, then was I mistaken, Shoaib?" Huma broke his trance and mischievously questioned him. He freed his hands and lightly slapped her head in return.

"Nazar andaz karte ho, lo hat jaatey hain nazron se, inhi nazron se dhoondo gey, nazar jab hum na aayenge."

Afreen released a sigh on seeing that his playful nature was back and scoffed loudly. "Ino nazron se ghaib? Bhatkiwi aatma ke waisa mandraatey rehte jab dekho tab!"

Shoaib squinted his brown orbs at her and after one revengeful glare, he sprinted out the door to get Shahzeb's approval for the Nikah. Afreen snobbishly shrugged and waved it off with her hands. "Badey aaye nawab saab!"

Aunt Fariha caressed Mahjabeen's head and wiped tears of her own when Salman suddenly barged in the door and bent down, panting for breaths. "MAHJABEEN! SHAHZEB QABOOL HAI BOLDIYA!"

Afreen, Huma, Gauhar and Mariya gasped in response and whipped their heads towards Mahjabeen. The bride inhaled deeply and kept her hand on her chest to keep her panic in. "I-I'm mar-married?"