29

Megumi awoke with her head in terrible pain as if rasengan is drilling into her skull.

She forced her eyes open, squinting to adjust to the light. Her sight is blurry, any object farther than half a foot away is incomprehensible, like they're submerged underwater and covered with fog. She waited a few minutes, only to realize her eyesight has gone bad.

She ignored her heavy head and the electricity shooting down her spine and sat up, bones cracking by the movement.

"Dear Hagoromo, it hurts." She groans as another series of pain hit her.

Her stomach churned, her throat burning. She immediately turns to the side where she thinks is the side of the bed and vomited out whatever her stomach evicted. The more she threw up, the more she grew weaker. She could barely breathe because some also came out from her nose.

"You're a lot of work." A voice belonging to an old woman is heard from behind her before she felt a hand sweep her hair to the side and tie it to a low ponytail, her other hand is on Meg's back, rubbing it.

Meg wanted to thank whoever the person is but can't manage to speak. She grasped the woman's arm, lightly squeezing it to convey her gratefulness.

For the next five minutes, the sound of her throwing up echoed in the room.

"You seem to like making people clean up after you." The old woman grumbles, letting go of her.

"S-sor... cough!" Due to excessive vomiting and dehydration, Meg's throat is like sandpaper.

The unknown woman clicked her tongue. Meg could even imagine her shaking her head in disapproval.

"Gargle and drink some water." The old woman sternly orders her.

Relying on her instincts since her senses at the moment is shit, Meg reached forward; thinking the old hag is handing her a glass of water or something. But Her hand met air.

Kureha was surprised, her eyes widening in realization.

"You can't see?" She asks, her tone softer than before.

"Barely." The dark-haired girl nods.

Kureha takes out a small flashlight and moved it across her eyes to check. The woman's iris followed the light and the pupils dilated, meaning she could still see light, so she's not fully blind.

"You're blurry. I can barely see you or anything." The girl informs her. "I need my glasses." Her voice above a whisper, still hoarse.

Kureha handed her the glass of water, ensuring that her fingers are tightly around it for it not to fall. She also guided her when drank to prevent spilling and getting herself wet.

Meg barely finished half of the glass despite her thirst and pushed it away, lying down and burying herself under the covers. She doesn't feel cold, but her body's reacting like it is.

"You're out longer than your other friends, although when we picked you up you are in the best condition among them." There are sounds of mopping and splashes of water. The woman probably cleaning her mess, Meg thought. "They are getting worried, but I have no idea what to tell them."

Meg felt the old woman's eyes settle on her figure.

"I've been a doctor for a long time. More than a hundred years." Meg's eyes widened in shock. "Yet your condition is something I've encountered for the first time."

The bed dipped, indicating the old woman sat on it. Megumi turned to her side, facing her eventhough she can't see clearly.

"You are a strange girl." Cold hand held her Meg's wrist. "Your body is destroying itself then also repairing it." Kureha let go, reaching her forehead next. "Your body rejects anything you ingest, any foreign material. Do you know how many times I changed your pajamas and the bedding? I tried to give you a UV drip, but you caused a mess despite being unconscious."