Canvas

South Paw Lake was just beyond Hearthway Forest. Ages ago, it had been a settlement for a group of Swiss immigrants. It was these immigrants who would soon form what would become Hearthway Hollow. For now, South Paw Lake was the site of Camp Wolfpun, a summer camp for the kids of Hearthway Hollow and some of the neighboring communities.

This summer, you've been hired to be a counselor at the camp. Usually, you're a teacher at Hearthway Elementary, where you're the history teacher. Here, you'll be in charge of crafts as well as several other things, and you're head of Dingo Cabin.

The owner and operator of Camp Wolfpun is Canvas Lanterne, whose lineage can be traced all the way back to the Swiss immigrants who settled on South Paw Lake. You've known him since high school, and to be honest, he hasn't changed much since then. He's still tall, gangly, with his long blonde surfer hair and never aging face.

Counselors stay inside the cabins with the kids, they have their own room separate from the camper's main room. You'd be in charge of some of the younger campers, so it made sense they'd want an adult close by. Looking over the list you were given, you saw quite a few of your students would be in Dingo cabin.

You arrive a day early to set up and go over the protocol with the other counselors. When you arrive, you see Harun is there and is helping get supplies into the cafeteria. You also see Rowan, who is checking over a crate of books. Big Billy is fixing the firepit as well as checking the fire extinguishers.

"Oh no, Canvas hired a boring teacher?" Rowan chimes.

You turn and see he's pointing at you. "How'd you know?" You set your bags down and walk over to him.

"It's that patchouli perfume you wear," Rowan says. "I can smell it a mile away." He taps his nose as he grins. "That's why Canvas hired you."

You chuckle and help him load the books into the main hall. "And what're you doing here?" You ask. "Come to get lost in the woods again?"

"I was twelve!" He snaps at you. "Why do you gotta keep bringing that up?" He huffs and takes one of the books from the crate. "A couple of my students are attending this year. I'm watching them in Coyote Cabin while also teaching Morse code." He tilts his head. "What about you?"

"I'm over at Dingo Cabin," you reply. "I'm also going to be doing some of the crafts and Canvas asked me to tell stories about South Paw Lake and the history of Hearthway Hollow."

Rowan grimaces. "You're going to be giving a history lesson?"

"Hey," you snap. "The kids need to know the history of this place. Why they're here and why Eva decided to save it."

You get to set up in your cabin, unpacking and using the chest of drawers provided. As you're getting set up, there's a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?"

You look back and see Canvas walking inside. Still just as tall and gangly as ever. You smile at him. "There you are!" You say. "I saw Rowan before I saw you."

"Oh no, I'm sorry," he chuckles. "Are you getting settled ok?"

You nod. "I'm pretty excited actually." You notice Canvas's hair is wet. "I noticed I had Eve and Billie in my cabin, so I'm pretty excited to see them." You reach out then and touch his hair. "Were you swimming?"

He chuckles and ducks his head. "Yeah," he admits. He combs his fingers through his long hair. "Just, testing out the water."

You smirk at him and finish unpacking your things. "Well, it's good to see you, wet or dry. It's been a long time." Back in high school, you and Canvas had dated. It had been an awkward first romance for the both of you. You had gone to prom and done all the normal stupid high school things. But then, after graduation, you moved away for college and Canvas stayed behind. He took over Camp Wolfpun from his dad, and you got a teaching degree and a massive amount of debt. You didn't come back to Hearthway Hollow until last year when you got the teaching job at the elementary school.