Late Night Ramblings

So.. I can't sleep. Neither can our boys. Have this. 

I didn't mean for this to be in the Bliss universe, but it turned into a little flashback scene for "Bliss"

Tw: Smoking 

~Remus' POV~ 

2:00. 2:15. 2:30.

I listen to the clock tick, watching the minutes of the early morning hours tick by. I try to sleep, of course. I close my eyes, count my breaths, think of things that make me happy and relaxed, but I can't. I just can't sleep.

Finally, as the clock is nearing three am, I decide that I can't be in the silence of the dorm anymore. I'll just go to the common room and read by the fire for a while. That will make me tired, right?

I get up and put on socks, along with the first hoodie I find. By the strong cologne and minty shampoo smell, it's Sirius'. I take a deep breath, breathing in that calming scent for a moment. 

It's quiet as I walk down to the common room. There's no one here, the only sound is the faint crackling of the fire. I've always loved the common room at night, it almost feels like a secret. Like no one should be here at this hour, but here I am. 

The common room is warmer than the dorm, but I sit close to the fire in my favorite spot anyway. I take a deep breath and open my book. It's about a girl growing up in a city with different mind patterns, but hers is weird. She ends up collapsing the whole government. 

~Sirius' POV~

Fuck. I can't breathe. Where am I? 

It takes me a couple of minutes to come around and remember where I am. When I do, I flop over onto my back and sigh. There's no way I'm going to go back to sleep. It's cold in here. I feel chilled to the bone. 

I need a cigarette. 

I sit up slowly and get a pack of cigarettes out of my side table before throwing on one of Remus' jumpers and heading downstairs. 

The common room is always deserted at night, so that's what I expect. Instead, I find Remus curled up in his usual spot, right by the fire on the end of the couch that us marauders always sit on. I walk up behind him, regretting not putting on socks because of the cool stone floor. 

"You should be asleep, Moony." I say softly before sliding my arms around Remus' shoulders. He jumps before realizing it's me and leaning his head back against my shoulder. 

"I could say the same for you, padfoot. Are you alright?" Remus rests his hand on my arm and turns his head to kiss my cheek. 

"I'm fine, just cold." I walk around the couch and settle across from Remus, pulling a cigarette from the pack and lighting it with my wand. Remus rolls his eyes, and it makes me so mad because how can someone be so pretty while gearing up to insult me? 

"Just cold my ass, you only smoke when you're upset." He replies, with that knowing note in his voice that makes something in my chest break loose. He already knows, so I don't have to hide it. 

"Fair. I am cold, though. Come here." I hold out my arms and Remus' crawls gracefully across the couch. Or, well, graceful in my eyes. He only face plants into a cushion once, and ends up curled up between my splayed legs with the blanket he's stolen from the back of the couch spread across both of us. I find it funny how small and precious he looks now, when ten hours ago he was pinning me to the wall with an arm above my head. 

"Anything in particular you're stressing about, love?" Remus asks after a few minutes and a shared cigarette. I shrug my shoulders and toss the pack aside, knowing James will be upset if he smells it too heavily on me.