Chapter 40

Louis' POV:

"What?" I crinkled my eyebrows at her, while my heart sank in my chest.  "Are you kidding me!?"

"Oh boy," she sighed and wiggled away from me to jump off the counter. 

"Becca..." I said softly as she turned the corner out of the kitchen.  I shook my head and moved to follow her.  I knew my reaction hadn't been the greatest. I couldn't believe what she had just told me. 

"What, Lou?" She rounded the corner to her bedroom and I followed her inside. 

"Babe," I scratched the back of my head.  "What else do you expect me to say? I mean, that's pretty heavy."

"I'm sorry," she plopped down in bed and pulled the covers over top of her. 

"Well, I think we need to talk about it," I replied.  "You can't just throw that at me and then run in here to hide away."

"I'm not hiding," she looked up at me.

I sat down on the edge of the bed next to her and looked down at my hands. "I just though...Florida was behind us, ya know?"

"It's not, though," she explained.  "It's practically staring me in the face."

"There's no reason for it to be.  It's over. He's in prison where he belongs."

"I know he is..." She nodded and looked up at me.  "I've already book the flight..."

"So, you're just gonna leave?  Again?" I turned to look at her, feeling the tears build in my eyes. 

She bit her lip and looked down, picking at a loose thread on the blanket. I rubbed a hand over my face and stood up.  "I'll take that as a 'yes'."

"Louis-" she started, but I stopped her. 

"I don't really wanna hear it," I held up a hand up and shook my head. 

"But-" she sat up and looked at me.  "Please...it's not-"

I shook my head again.  "You just do whatever it is that you feel the need to do, okay?" 

"Lou, listen to me!"

I turned toward the door and opened it, then turned back to her. "Maybe you should open your eyes and realize that you have a pretty damn good guy," I  spoke softly.  "One that fucking adores you and loves you, yet...you're always so willing to run from me."  

Before she could say anything else, I slammed the bedroom door behind me after I had stepped out.   I was disappointed in myself for the way I had spoken to her...but, I had to stand up at some point.  

How could I be so head over heels in love with someone...yet, it was always so easy for her to walk away?

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Becca's POV:

The next day, I stepped out of the terminal at Tampa airport, throwing my carry on over my shoulder.  I pulled my phone out of my purse and powered it on, hoping that I hadn't missed the call from one of the boy's promoters.   

They were set to perform at Madison Square Garden in two weeks and it was time for me to start cracking down on getting all the arrangements made.  There was hotel rooms to book, after party to plan, and now David Letterman was making an offer to have them on his show. 

My free hand was gently tugged, pulling me along. "Come on, before we get noticed and mobbed."

"Are you scared of being mobbed or that your hair product could be stolen from your bag?"