Kidnapped. Pt. 4

Silence was a bad way to describe the room after Hayasaka's words. It pales in comparison to the shock that hit both Kaguya and Shinobu's mind.

Kaguya looks at Hayasaka with a concerned look, obviously not wanting their bond to be disjointed while Shinobu looks at Hayasaka with an unreadable expression.

"But..." is all Kaguya musters up before looking down at the floor with a dejected face, almost as if she was trying to forget the situation.

"W-well, we should probably make a plan to get him back. Any ideas?" Shinobu awkwardly asks, with Kaguya looking back up in response.

"This is a large-scale mission, and we would be outnumbered if we tried to fight them alone. So, to say we need some backup is an understatement," she points out, still giving Hayasaka concerned glances. "It also doesn't help that one of our most adept fighters is the one we have to save," she continues, racking her brain for an idea.

Her eyes wander around the room and eventually land on Hayasaka's focused expression. She sees her mouth open, but before she could speak, Kaguya chokes out a suggestion.

"Why don't we let the Student Council members know? I'm sure they'd be willing to help; it's OC, after all—"

"No," Shinobu interrupts. "We can't do that."

Kaguya crosses her legs. "But why not?"

"Wait. I think telling the Student Council would be a good idea, I was just thinking about that." Hayasaka straightens her posture. "Each of the members have great qualities that can help with bringing OC back. I'm sure you know this, Kaguya-sama."

The cross-legged girl nods and gestures for Hayasaka to continue.

"And..." She turns to Shinobu. "...We don't really have any other choice here. Involving anyone else will probably make the news widespread—which...isn't the best idea."

Shinobu finally gives in, her shoulders slouching as she exhales in defeat. "I suppose we'll have it both your ways, then."

Kaguya sighs in relief and stands sloppily, beginning to walk out of the room. "Now that we've come to this conclusion, I'll be heading to bed for the night. Goodnight, you two," she yawns.

Hayasaka follows suit, speeding out of the door and trailing behind Kaguya to her room. She makes sure Kaguya is tucked in before heading to her own room as well.

Later that night, Shinobu shoves her blankets off of her and sits up on the guest room bed. She moves strands of her hair behind her ear and sighs.

On her way out of the room to get downstairs, Hayasaka's words echo inside of her head.

"...When OC is back, neither of you will have to see or hear from me again."

She rubs her eyes frustratedly and drinks from the glass of water she'd just poured for herself. She hadn't meant to push Hayasaka so far to declare such a thing, and now the guilt tugs at her heart for taking someone her son loved away from him.

A moment passes, and Shinobu hears muffled cries coming from a room nearby. She adjusts the hem of her silk shirt before quietly walking towards the sound.

"Hayasaka...?" she whispers as she knocks on the door. "Is everything alright?"

Taken aback by Shinobu's careful tone, Hayasaka covers her hand over her sobs and squeezes her eyes shut. Her shoulders begin to shake even more.

Shinobu knocks again, this time more eagerly. "Hayasaka, I know you're in there. Please let me in."

Hayasaka chokes, trying her best to wipe away her tears before unlocking the door for Shinobu. Weakly, she mutters, "Come in."