Chapter 6: An Answer

"So, OC. What is your relationship with Shinomiya?"

The question echoes in OC's mind for a second. He was sure that he didn't have any romantic feelings for Kaguya however he didn't know how to respond. Should he say that she's like a sister to him? Or that she was a close friend? Then he had a brilliant idea. If he were to get Miyuki jealous, there could be a chance that Miyuki would confess to Kaguya earlier because of the sense of competition. However at the same time, it could backfire and Miyuki would stop going after Kaguya.

...

...

......

"Kaguya? She's like my baby sister!"

Kaguya looks at OC with a hint of surprise on her face and a sense of flattery, while Chika looks slightly jealous.

Miyuki, on the other hand, looks like he was relieved. OC grins, satisfied that his response pleased Miyuki's ears.

"Oh, and by the way..." OC trails off, getting the attention of the other 3 present.

"How can I join the student council?"

Before any of the members could respond, the bell rings and shuffling among the halls becomes rampant.

OC sighs as Kaguya signals him to follow her to class. As they make it to their homeroom, the students settle down and the person who appears to be the teacher calls OC to the front.

"Alright kid, go ahead and introduce yourself," the teacher explains as he smiles genuinely at OC.

OC nods and begins his introduction.

"My name is OC, I like learning about others and staying consistent with friendships. I hope to see that in all of you. Please take care of me," OC bows. He writes his name on the blackboard and steps to the side for the class to see. The class applauds and he finally takes his seat again behind Hayasaka.

'...staying consistent with friends...all of you...' continues to echo in his head. He keeps in mind how much he needed to limit himself around the girl sitting in front of him.

'You're a joke, OC.' Many thoughts find their way into his head, lingering and intruding. He doesn't appreciate any of them and can barely focus on the teacher's lecture.

'Kill...Ai...Hayasaka...' his thoughts continue. He lets out a silent huff and puts his head down. The girl his mind had been threatening was sitting right in front of him.

A moment passes, and OC finally feels a tap on his arm.

"Psst! Oi, OC, are you alright?" Hayasaka loudly whispers. OC puts up his head and furrows his eyebrows.

'Who the fuck—?' Instead of speaking his mind, he puts up a thumbs up and nods his head profusely.

'What's up with that stupid act?' OC thinks to himself.

He decides to ignore Hayasaka's antics and puts his head back down on the table. Before long, the bell rings and OC walks to his next few classes while repeating the "putting his head down" tactic.

However lunch is a different story with OC. He can't sit with Hayasaka because she's busy with her friends, and Kaguya goes to the StuCo room for lunch.

As soon as he was about to sit down however, he feels a hand on his shoulder.

Already annoyed, he turns around quickly and says "what?" in a hostile tone.

"I should be asking you that." Miyuki responds with an equally hostile tone.

OC sighs and continues, "Shouldn't you be in the Council room with Fujiwara and Kaguya?" OC asks in a softer tone.

He observes how Miyuki visibly flinches at OC's use of "Kaguya" and decides to address her by "Shinomiya" for his sake.

"Usually I would be, however I wanted to talk to you regarding your question." OC could tell that Miyuki was going to tell him somewhere along the lines of "you can't join" but he was thoroughly surprised when he said,

"Why don't you tell me why you want to join first?"

OC was stumped, he wasn't expecting to be asked questions about the student council so soon so he had no rehearsed answer to go with.

"Well..."

He lowers his head as he sighs, before bringing it back up and looking Miyuki in the eye.

"It's been 5 years since I've been in an actual school environment. Prior I've been privately tutored and haven't had the experience of a real school ever since 5th grade. I just thought that being part of something important when I'm finally in a real school would give me the experience I lost out on."

Now it was Miyuki's turn to be stumped, he wasn't expecting such a heartfelt response and was now feeling guilty about treating OC like a bad person.

"Well before you can join the Student Council, you need to earn our trust. You've already earned Shinomiya's, however you still need to gain Fujiwara's, Ishigami's, and my trust before we can hold a vote for you to join," Miyuki explains.

"Well, no time like the present," OC jokes, which prompts Miyuki to genuinely have a good chuckle.

Over the course of the next 30 minutes, they talk about anything that had came to mind. It was during these 30 minutes when both Miyuki and OC had the same thought.

'This guy is actually pretty cool!'

Around the midway point of their conversation, a thought comes across OC's mind.

'Hayasaka's birthday is in two days isn't it?'

"Hey, Shirogane. What's the type of gift you would give to someone on their birthday?"

Shirogane puts a hand on his chin before responding.

"Well, wouldn't just giving them ¥2,500 work?"

"But it wouldn't be a meaningful gift to her if I were to just give her ¥2,500."

OC thinks about the absurdity of what he's doing.

'You're stressing out about getting a meaningful gift for a girl that you're tasked to kill...you really are a mess, aren't you, OC?'

'Well, I guess I can put it off for a while, can't I? If things go well, I won't have to hurt her at all.'

His thoughts are interrupted by a smirking Miyuki.

"Oho? A 'her' you say? I must ask, who exactly are you getting a gift for?"

"She's a good friend of mine, I want to get her something that she'll actually like," OC assures.

"Well, why not something she could wear? Not only is it something permanent, if she decides to wear it then she'll think of you giving it to her whenever she looks at it."

Miyuki starts to daydream about him giving Kaguya a nice bracelet and seeing her wear it everyday.

"That sounds like a good idea, actually, but...what WOULD I buy her?"

"Why not a nice bracelet, or maybe a—"

"I think I'll buy her diamond earrings."

"Oh yeah that sounds like..."

The word 'diamond' echoes through Miyuki's head.

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!"

"Huh? I don't see the problem with it. Diamond is the birthstone of April after all."

"I guess you're right, but still...diamond earrings can go for as much as new cars." Miyuki points out, not aware of OC's financial stability.

"That's true, but I would only have to cut back on spending for a few weeks if I were to buy them."

'A FEW WEEKS?!' Miyuki had officially given up on trying to understand the upper class.

Before either of them knew it, lunch was over and they had to head back to class.

"Well Miyuki, I'll talk to you later."

"I'm looking forward to it. If things continue the way they are, I think you'll be a fine addition to the Student Council."

Results Of Today's Battle: OC's Victory.