Chapter 9: A Happy Happy Birthday (Pt. 2)

*3:30 PM, 4/2*

By the end of the school day, Hayasaka had been completely exhausted. She storms out of the building and forces the car door open, not expecting OC to be there already. Her eyes widen and OC pulls her in.

"You're coming with me, today," OC states, directing the driver to start the engine. Hayasaka is quick to protest.

"But Kaguya-sama—"

"—Has after school activities with the President. She'll be safe, trust me."

Hayasaka nods, keeping her gaze low and facing away from OC. She refused to let him see that she'd been crying throughout the school day.

But OC already knew.

A few moments of silence pass, and Hayasaka finds it comforting. She hears OC hum, and remembers how much he loved singing in elementary school. Then, the little tune he was humming soon turned louder and more lively, as if it were coming from outside.

"We're close," OC smiles, then hands her wet wipes to wipe her eyes with. "Here."

Hayasaka thanks him, wiping away the tears that had dried up. When she looks out of her window again, she sees that they are quickly approaching—

"The Spring Festival?" Hayasaka questions. She hadn't been to a festival in years, and to see one with such bright colors somehow intrigued her more.

"Well, it'd be really lame if I brought you to the grocery store for your birthday, wouldn't it?" OC grins. Hayasaka's eyes widen, tears immediately forming again and her chest churning.

"Wait! Don't cry even more, Haya!" OC tries to comfort.

After a few minutes of finally calming down, Hayasaka hesitantly follows OC lead in walking into the festival. He pays for their entrance tickets, Hayasaka protesting and claiming she can pay for her own ticket as well as the rest of the things they'd purchase around the festival.

"C'mon, Haya; it's your birthday. Allow me to do this for you," OC insists. Hayasaka finally surrenders, and they begin walking around in the warm sunlight of the festival.

OC makes sure Hayasaka is always in his peripheral vision, making sure they wouldn't run into any creeps on her celebration.

"Do any of these stalls look interesting to you?" OC asks. He chuckles when seeing Hayasaka's embarrassed face unsure of what to choose after not being at a festival for so many years.

"We can...try all of them, right?" Hayasaka asks, eyeing a certain stall with a shooting game, stuffed plushies as prizes. She doesn't realize OC had also been eyeing it as well.

"Of course," OC nods. "We have all the time in the world to try all of them."

They quickly get in line to play the game, and to OC's surprise, Hayasaka almost has the same accuracy and precision as him. She shoots all the required targets and on the last one, OC cheers.

"Come on, Haya! You got this!"

And then Hayasaka shoots the final target, winning and smirking at OC. She scans over the prizes and settles on a dog plushie. They walk around the festival, buying as much food as they can and setting ungodly records on all of the games. Hayasaka was focused on the games, however there was only one thing that OC could focus on.

'Her smile.'

Eventually, their fun would have to come to a pause. The sun had begun to set. Hayasaka and OC find themselves a quiet place to rest, a lamp helping to light up their surroundings.