Chapter 24: Hate Is Love And Love Is War

"I really fucking hate you."

"I know, I know," OC responds softly, hiding the amount of pain that struck his chest whenever she expresses her hate for him.

"I'm...sorry for keeping this from you Ai..." OC responds, his back leaning on the door as he sits down.

"I was never going to hurt you, and I swear I'll neve—"

"—I don't want to hear it!" Hayasaka yells out, crying loudly for a second time.

OC sighs, thinking about how to get Hayasaka out of her manic state.

"If you want me to leave, then so be it," OC begins, rubbing his eyes as he speaks. "But one more time Ai, let me tell you everything one more time."

"And if you aren't satisfied with my answer,"

"Then you'll never have to see my face again."

OC can hear Hayasaka try to stifle her sobs, blowing into tissues every few seconds.

"You don't have to speak if you don't want to. If you're satisfied with my answer just unlock the door, if you're not then keep it locked and I'll leave."

He hears silence of acknowledgment and begins to speak.

"Around 3 months ago, my mom told me to take a mission...and...I stupidly took it without even asking for the details,"

"Well, you already know the mission details so there's no need to explain that,"

"But I want you to know that I was reluctant to even go through with the mission anyway,"

"I've never even killed anyone before,"

"Let alone someone I've known for so long."

"And I just want you to know,"

"What I said about the time we spent together is true, I loved every minute of it,"

"And you'd make me the happiest person in the world if we could have more time together like that."

OC reels back as he realizes the implications of what he just said, putting his hand over his head in disappointment.

"You said...you canceled the mission last night right?"' Hayasaka questions, a slight glimmer of hope in her weak voice.

"Yeah...and at the moment, I think I have a bigger target on my back than you do," OC responds, remembering that he needs to get back to Shinobu, who he kept on silent for the past day.

OC anticipates a response, but hears nothing. He lets out a small huff and punches the bridge of his nose, deciding whether he should keep trying to get Hayasaka to respond or whether he should just walk away.

But before he can take a step away, he hears the door unlock and slowly open. He gasps inaudibly when he sees Hayasaka's broken state. She avoids eye contact with him knowing that her swollen eyes would make it harder anyway.

She sniffles, then mutters, "Asshole."

'I hate to see you cry,' OC thinks, cursing himself as tears begin to blur his vision. 'It's my fault for being such an idiot, I'm sorry, Ai.'

"That's me," OC agrees. He feels streams of warmth fall down his cheeks when he gives her a sad close-eyed smile. Keeping his smile, he lifts his hands up in front of himself, showing her that he was no threat.

His surrender makes Hayasaka's lip quiver. Her tears seem to be never-ending and she tries wiping them away roughly, but then she feels gentle hands around her wrists.

"I know it was scary," OC whispers, pulling her hands away from her face. "I know, and it's not your fault."

OC gently pulls Hayasaka back into her room, locking the door behind him. They both stay in frozen silence for a few seconds, Hayasaka hiccupping every other second. He watches her somber expression, the glistening tears that rested in her eyelashes and her rosy flushed cheeks. He closes his eyes and succumbs to the silence.

Suddenly, he feels a direct hit to his stomach and his eyes widen in shock. The air knocks out of his lungs and he kneels down, holding his gut.

"Haya—!" he chokes. "What the hell?!"

"It isn't polite," Hayasaka starts, "For a traitor, like you, to invite himself into a woman's room."

She scoffs, loosening the fist she'd just struck OC with.

"But I suppose if they're both traitors, there's nothing you can really do about that."

She kneels in front of him, locking her arms around him and sighing shakily. A moment passes before Hayasaka finally speaks, "I can't trust you like I used to, but I trust you enough to fix that."

"I'll do my best." OC winces in pain as he speaks.

"Damn you're a good hit," OC remarks, growing somewhat scared of her manpower.

"And I'll show you more if you don't fix this." Hayasaka threatens, OC almost laughs at Hayasaka, focusing on her angry expression.

OC puts a hand on her head, and half-returns her hug.

"Don't worry, Sunshine, I'll fix everything."