Seventy - Two

"Why did we have to get the swamp," Sapnap groaned, their horses walked knee-deep in the mud like filth. George swatted away the mosquitos that stung at his face but for everyone one, he smacked five would take its place. 

"Yeah, I'd much prefer the woodland mansion or a mountain than this," George huffed. With every step they took, it felt like the mud continuously tried to pull them into its darkness. Dream trailed behind his two friends, his hands in his pockets. His head felt like it was spinning, Sapnap and George's voices were like echoes. There was so much going on in his head that he was seconds away from tearing his scalp out.

This was his fault. He could have avoided this completely but convincing Zia to not go on that life-altering trip. He could have stopped this, the blood she had spilled stained his hands as well. 

Was it worth it?  

Sapnap and George were gone, all that was left was him and the sounds of the swamp but even that changed to a familiar ring, a sound that played when your mind went askew. He grasped the side of his head to stop the noise that made his brain throb. 

"Shut up!" 

He snapped. He stared into the murky waters that came up his shins, grey eyes stared back him, pleading, tired and so familiar. Eyes he had not seen for what seemed like a life time. He smacked the surface of the water and the eyes disappeared but as his hands touched the water it ran red. The same as the water that was filled with Tommy's blood, the bowls that were tainted with the color cleaning wounds. He saw reflections in the blood. Everyone who had died in Zia's- No- The KIngSlayer's attack. 

I warned you

Dream's eye widened in realization. What if the voice wasn't his guilt ridden head playing tricks on him. This entire thing was filled with dark magic, the resurrection book, The death of the dragon, The king slayers return. What if the voices were playing with his head, toying him with the guilt that had riddled him since the day Zia had left the smp. 

"It's a trick, you're not real." 

The world began to spin. It turned until Dream didn't know which way was up or down. The crows seemed to scream as the voice screamed at him.

You could have saved me

You could have stopped everything

THIS IS YOUR FAULT

It screamed over and over and over again. 

.

.

.

.

.

Dream gasped as a a hand laid on his shoulder, "hey are you okay? you spaced out." Sapnap said. Dream shook his head and slid the mask off his face so he could breathe. It felt like he had forgotten to breath he was desperate for death. Dream shoved Sapnap's hand off his shoulder and shoved past them. Anger built up inside him. They were the last two people to see Zia before she marched off to her death. They could have stopped her.

"What the fuck dude?!" Sapnap gasped. He had noticed Dream was off since Zia's decline in health and that plunged the moment she died. It was like Dream couldn't see the friends that were right in front of him, it was like he cared for power more than them and it was becoming more obvious by the day. It made Sapnap feel like walking away but he made a promise to Zia. He promised to look after the masked, green man but he wouldn't let his best friend throw shit at him.