Stay With Me (part 2)

Hello everyone! After a few months' hiatus from writing, due to finals and mental health, I am back with part two! Due to what I previously mentioned, I was unable to post my pride month oneshots, so I will try and post them all this week!

Trigger Warnings: Mentions of past verbal and mental abuse, injury

Charlea: 13

"Okay...I'll go home"

After checking once more that her granddaughter's hand was properly wrapped and cared for, Heidi loaded Charlea into her car and started the drive back to Connor and Evan's home.

Not a single word was uttered during the ride, all that could be heard was the low voice of the radio announcer playing throughout the car. Multiple times, Heidi looked in the rearview mirror to catch a glimpse of what was happening behind her in the backseat, but all she saw each time was Charlea leaning her head against the window.

Quite soon, the car pulled into the driveway of the Murphy house and the second Heidi helped her granddaughter out of the backseat and slammed the door, a figure peeked its head out from behind the curtains in the bay window.

It was Connor. 

"Charlea!" A scream echoed as the front door swung open, Connor sprinting out towards his daughter with his long hair wrapped up in a towel. His heart pounded in his ears. All he could think about was his little girl being in his arms again.

All of a sudden, Connor felt himself collide with another body. His arms grasped Charlea and held her tightly, afraid if he let her go once more, she'd be gone for good. "Oh my god, Charlea, sweetheart,"

He wasn't sure when the tears started to pour, but all he knew was the two of them were now both bawling, Charlea trembling as she held onto her father for dear life.

"Dear God, what were you thinking?" He asked, pulling away to check that she was alright, only for his eyes to drift to her bandaged hand. "Why did you— oh... honey, what happened to your hand? Please tell me you didn't try and clean the glass yourself,"

Charlea lowered her gaze in embarrassment, worried Connor would yell at her again. "I'm sorry..."

Connor shook his head and returned to embrace his daughter once more. His hands shook as he stroked the back of Charleas hair, a trick the two husbands learned could easily calm their daughter down."I was worried sick, Charlea. I couldn't find you,"

He could feel a burning stare drilling at him and looking up, Connor saw Heidi, glancing at the two with a sad smile and tears glistening in her eyes. Connor kissed the top of his daughter's head, asked her to go inside, and went towards his mother-in-law, holding back tears for the second time.

"Heidi, I'm so sorry—"

"You don't need to apologize to me, Connor." She stopped him, placing her hand on his shoulder. "I understand what you're going through right now. I worked as a nurse for thirty years. I know that sleep deprivation only heightens depression and anger issues, but she doesn't know that. It's your daughter who needs to hear what you have to say,"

Connor opened his mouth to protest, yet she just cut him off once more. "Just go inside and take care of Charlea. She needs you right now,"

Nodding in defeat, Heidi said goodbye to her son-in-law as he started back up the porch and inside the house. Charlea sat in the living room, holding her injured hand in her lap and wiping away stray tears. The glass was cleaned up, she found, and Charlea couldn't help but blame herself for the mess that was created.

Connor sat next to the girl, looking at her before draping his arm around her shoulders as if to make sure she was alright with that.

Silence ran thick enough that you could cut it with a knife. It must have been minutes until one of them spoke. "Dad, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to drop the glass and make you mad and run but—"

"No, honey. I'm the one who needs to apologize. I got angry over a simple accident, that wasn't fair to you." Connor paused, gathering up the courage to continue. "Listen, when I was around your age, I was struggling. I was struggling and while I got the help I needed, it didn't fix everything. I still had bad days and times I couldn't manage it, but when you came into our lives? I knew I had to work harder.

"I never intended for you to see one of those outbursts and I am so sorry for it. It wasn't fair to you, you did nothing wrong,"

Charlea leaned her head onto Connor's shoulder, accepting his apology. "I'm sorry I ran again, dad,"

"It's alright, sweetheart. I... I was wondering, though, is there a reason you run?" Connor questioned, immediately regretting it after seeing the pain that flashed on Charlea's face. "You don't have to tell me anything, I just want to make sure you're okay,"

"No, it's okay," She sighed, mentally preparing to share the part of her past that none of her family knew about. "In the center, you had two options; stay and take the mental and verbal abuse that was in your fate, or run. I would try to run and escape, but if I couldn't, I accepted the punishments. Then, when I was eight, I got bunked with this girl. Chrissy.

"She wasn't even five years old the first time she got in trouble. It was horrifying to watch, Chrissy couldn't understand what she did wrong. So, whenever we had to run, I would pick her up and get away as quickly as we could." Charlea saw her dad's face morph into pity and horror, trying not to let it affect her. "That was the only thing I learned to do, so when I came here I guess it kind of stuck with me,"

"Oh, Charlea..." Connor's heart sank upon hearing this, holding onto his daughter for dear life, "I'm sorry you had to ever go through that, but you're home now, and no one will hurt you. Papa and I love you so much, we couldn't bear to see you hurt, baby girl,"

"I love you, dad,"

"I love you most,"

I hope you all enjoyed, I love you so so much, and have a wonderful day/night!! <3