Checkups

Request time! Sorry for the lack of Parker and Jacob oneshots and sorry for not updating last week, it was just kind of busy towards the end of the week for me

Parker and Jacob: 4

The light cream-colored walls with colorful stickers and wall decals came into view as Evan, Connor, Jacob, and Parker walked into the boys' pediatric office. It was time for the twins' yearly checkup, and they had a general idea of how this was going to go.

You see, Parker was much better at handling certain situations than his brother, one of those situations being the doctor's office. Parker would be able to stay calm, cool, and collected, while Jacob on the other hand would be a hysterical mess. He would shake, kick, and cry, all because a woman in a white coat was holding an unfamiliar object.

The four sat down, Parker sat in Evan's lap, while Connor had Jacob. Both husbands were anxious for what was going to happen, knowing that it would head south fairly quickly.

"I don't think this is going to go well," Connor whispered, bending over towards Evan's ear.

"I know, let's just hope Jacob does better this time than he did the last. Did you bring his stuffed duck?" Connor nodded, pulling a small, yellow, stuffed animal duck out of his messenger bag.

The two fell silent as they held onto their kids, bouncing them on their knees and listening to them giggle as they tried to pass the time. Before long, a nurse came from around the corner and stumbled into the waiting room.

"Parker and Jacob Murphy?"

They both raised their hands and stood up, placing both boys on their hips and following the nurse as she ushered them back down a hallway and to a corner where the machine for height and weight were placed.

Both toddlers giggled as their sneakers were pulled off and as they stepped up to the platform one by one. Once that portion of the doctor visit was complete, thankfully with no problems, the four were moved into room twelve, where the nurse left them with the information that the doctor would be in in a few moments.

As they waited, Connor and Evan lifted and plopped both twins down onto the parchment paper that was laid across the examination table. Parker laughed as he drew shapes with his finger into the paper, while Jacob was quiet, obviously trying to hide his fear.

"Hello?" Dr. Nolan, Parker and Jacob's pediatrician called out as she walked into the room. "I heard there were two special little boys in here,"

"Hi, Dr. Nolan," Connor smiled, squeezing his lover's hand.

"How are we all today? How have Parker and Jacob been doing since our last visit?"

"They've been doing well, actually," Evan started, "Parker came down with a cold about two weeks ago, but that's really all."

Dr. Nolan started asking the husbands a list of questions about their sons' health in the recent year; any illnesses, new medications they've started, important things like that.

"Well then, now that the health sheet is taken care of, who would like to get their checkup first?"

"Could we start with Parker? I think that Jakes a bit nervous and if he sees his brother be brave, he'll feel better,"

"I'm not scared!" Jacob whined, kicking his legs on the edge of the table.

"Okay," she laughed, "we can start with Parker, can you be a brave big boy for me, Parker?"

"Yeah!" He cheered.

Dr. Nolan took the stethoscope from around her neck and placed the end on his chest, watching him laugh as he shivered from the cold metal. As she finished listening to his heart and breathing, she looked in his nose, throat, and eyes, and finished off with his blood pressure.

She set back her tools on the wall and shifted her focus to Jacob, who was holding onto Evan's hand for dear life. As Dr. Nolan came closer, his hazel eyes glossed over with tears.

"Alright, buddy, are you ready for your turn?" She asked, earning a hesitant nod in return.

"Do you want Ducky?" Connor asked, pulling the toy from his bag and handing it to his son as he answered with another nod.

Dr. Nolan, sensing the anxiety in him, smiled as gently as she could and placed her hand on top of the stuffed duck's soft, bright yellow fur.

"Now who's this little guy, Jacob?"

"Her name is Ducky," he mumbled, avoiding her gaze and tightening his grip on his toy.

"Well, she's very cute. Now, do you want to hold onto Ducky while I listen to your heartbeat?" Jacob nodded, biting his lip to hold back tears.

Dr. Nolan laid the stethoscope on his chest, listening as he breathed in and out, doing a good job of staying calm. While she praised him for completing the first task, as she grabbed her otoscope and made her way to look in his ears, Jacob lost his composure. The tears burst from his eyes as his cries echoed in the small room.

She backed away and set down her tool as Evan scooped him up in his arms and squeezed him tightly, running his fingers through Jacob's hair to try and calm him down.

"I'm so sorry, Dr. Nolan, I thought he could hold it out,"

"Oh my gosh, it's alright, don't worry about it. I deal with a lot of little kids who are scared of me, it's nothing abnormal." She consoled.

As Parker and Connor watched Evan bounce Jacob up and down, trying to get him to stop crying, Jacob's tears soaked the sweet, soft golden fur of his duck.

"Shh, buddy," Evan left a kiss on Jacob's curls, "you're okay, you're okay. I need you to calm down, Jakey,"

After a few more long and dreadful minutes, Jacob's cries seemed to slowly dwindle until the room was completely silent, and his breaths were regulated and back to normal.

"Alright, buddy," she started as Evan set him back down on the table, "I'm going to use this to look up your nose, is that okay?" Jacob nodded.

Dr. Nolan knew how to deal with scared children, seeing as that she had dealt with millions before, so, she used her device to look up Jacob's nose, and knew what to do to make him laugh.

"Ew, Jake, I can see all your boogers!" The doctor teased, listening as the younger boy laughed.

After checking both of his nostrils, she moved onto looking at his throat and testing his reflex, where her commentary made Jacob giggle uncontrollably.

"And... all done!"

"See," Connor rubbed his son's arm, "that wasn't so bad, was it?"

As Jacob shook his head as an answer, Dr. Nolan turned to both of the twins and smirked. "Well, since you two were both such brave boys, there are lollipops at the desk if you want,"

"Candy!" They both cheered, Connor and Evan having to block the door in order to stop them from running out of it.

After thanking their pediatrician, each grabbed one of their sons' hands, and walked them out, signing the checkout sheet and handing them two different flavored suckers.

Trips to the doctors may not always be easy, but Jacob could get through it and be brave, they knew he had it in him.

Hey humans!! Again, sorry I didn't update last week, but I hope you enjoyed!! Love you all!!