Stay With Me (part 1)

Hello!! I'm not sure if anyone still reads this book, but we're back with a new update! A while back I did a oneshot where Charlea ran away after a fight with Evan, this is connected to that, so if you haven't read that I encourage you to do that now (it's titled And I Won't Run Away)

Charlea: 13

Parker and Jacob: Newborns

Trigger warnings(?): Broken glass, character runs away, character gets cut, arguments

"Wooo! It's finally the weekend!"

After a long week, Charlea was finally ready to drop her backpack and not have to even think about school for the next two days. The only thing on her mind was changing into her pajamas and doing nothing.

"Hey, sweetie," Connor smiled, coming down the stairs quickly to greet his daughter with a hug. "Just be quiet please, I just got them down to sleep,"

"I will, sorry," she replied, letting go of her father's grip.

Ever since the arrival of the twins, the two husbands ran on little sleep. While Evan went to work early after being woken up continuously throughout the night, Connor was on week four of his paternity leave and while he didn't need to get up, he was extremely sleep deprived. The dark bags under his eyes reflected his sleep schedule.

"Don't be sorry, honey. I'm going to go take a shower while they're napping if you need anything,"

As Connor walked back upstairs to his bedroom, Charlea moved to the kitchen to scrub her hands and pour herself a bowl of Doritos as an after-school snack.

But, before she sat down to eat and watch repeats of Friends she had seen a billion times before, Charlea opened the top cabinet door and reached up to grab a glass of water. She struggled to get ahold of it and before she could take it in her hands, it slipped off the edge and shattered into shards on the tile flooring below her.

"Shit!"

"Charlea? What the hell was that?" Connor ran to the kitchen in a frenzy, heart pounding as he stumbled upon his daughter, on the brink of tears, surrounded by glass. His breath hitched. "Oh my god, what happened?"

"I was trying to get a glass from the cabinet but-but it slipped out of my hand and-"

And almost on cue, two shrill cries came from the twins' nursery upstairs. In a moment of rage, Connor groaned loudly and threw his hands up in frustration. "Great, wonderful. Now you woke them up, the one thing I asked you not to do! Thank you, Charlea. By the time I come out of the shower, you better have this cleaned up!"

As he turned his back on his daughter and walked away, Charlea could feel herself starting to cry.

She was shaking, terrified of what Connor would do to her next she wiped the tears from her face and crouched down to clean up the glass. Charlea felt as if she couldn't waste any time so instead of grabbing the broom and sweeping the pieces up safely like Connor and Evan taught her, she used her bare hands.

And, as you would think, she almost immediately cut the palm of her hand open. The shard she was holding flew out of her grip as Charlea clenched her fist in pain. She tried to keep going, to push through the stinging in her hand, but it was no use. Charlea couldn't do it anymore. She had to resort to the only form of defense she knew; to run.

Charlea sprinted out the front door and began to run as fast as she could. The wind brushed against her skin as she flew down five blocks, and by the time she arrived at Heidi's doorstep, the cut had started bleeding badly.

Using her good hand, she knocked on the door that stood before her. The sound of footsteps made their way to the front hallway and when the door swung open, Heidi gasped at the sight laid in front of her eyes.

"Charlea! Oh baby, what happened? Where are your dads? Oh my god, what did you do to your hand?" Heidi ushered her granddaughter inside quickly and set her down on the living room sofa, leaving to grab gauze to hopefully help stop the bleeding.

Once she returned, she sat down next to the girl and started to wrap Charlea's hand, receiving only a short yelp in pain as she came to the end of the roll and finished off the cover of the wound.

"I'm sorry, kiddo, I know it hurts," Heidi frowned, hugging her granddaughter as tight as she possibly could, "can you tell me why you're here and what happened?"

Charlea hesitated, scared of how her grandmother would react if she told the truth. "I accidentally dropped a glass when dad told me to be quiet and I woke Parker and Jacob up and he got really mad at me and I tried to clean up the mess so I left before it got worse and-"

"Lea, why did you think things would get worse?"

"Because..." she stopped herself, looking for the right words to describe the situation, "because he was mad at me,"

As Heidi heard the words leave her mouth, her heart broke in two. She couldn't possibly imagine how much trauma the poor girl must have been through to think that her own father would hurt her over a simple mistake.

"Sweetheart, he might have been mad in the heat of the moment but I promise you he would never, ever lay a finger on you. There's a lot of stuff about your dad that you don't know... mental issues that have resurfaced since your brothers were born, but that doesn't mean it was okay for him to get mad.

"God, Charlea, he's going to be worried sick once he finds out your gone! Can I take you back home?"

"Are you... are you sure he won't still be upset?" She asked, her voice sounding meek and small. Heidi knew she was scared, but somehow, someway, she needed to get Charlea back home.

"I promise,"

"...Okay, I'll go home,"

Hey everyone! I hope you liked part one, I'll try and get part two out by Saturday! I apologize for the angst, I've just had this idea for a while now. For now, I love you all so much and I hope you have a wonderful day/night