Chapter 71 - Duty to Protect

Lysandre didn't know what to expect, he had heard from Malva that Houndoom and Lucario battled well together, but remained unsure as to how well Lucario would listen to Malva.

Malva doubted that Mega Evolution would be helpful here. Houndoom's Flash Fire would come in handy to protect Lucario, and although Adaptability would be helpful in taking on both Gyarados and Pyroar, Malva wanted to prove to herself and to Lysandre she was a good trainer.

"Lucario don't tend to listen to people who aren't their trainer's. What makes you think Lucario's sees you as worthy?" Lysandre questioned.

Malva wasn't going to let Lysandre's taunt get to her, "Kyra and I battle in a similar way. They battle well alongside each other, they trust each other, and I trust them."

Houndoom and Lucario nodded to agree with Malva, ready to battle together.

Lysandre laughed to himself, "Alright then, just be warned I won't be going easy on you."

Malva wasn't going to let Lysandre's comments faze her confidence, she knew he was doing it to try and throw her off. "Let's focus on Pyroar first, Gyarados is the real threat here."

Houndoom and Lucario agreed it was the best idea, wanting to take it down to a two on one with the biggest threat since Pyroar would be much easier to defeat.

"Houndoom, use Crunch. Lucario, use Bone Rush," Malva called, wanting both pokémon close to one another should Pyroar use Fire Blast.

Houndoom ran in with a Crunch at the ready, Lucario running behind once she had formed a Bone Rush. With Houndoom ahead, she would be able to absorb any Fire Type attacks with Flash Fire, and Lucario would be able to protect her from Gyarados' Hydro Pump with a Flash Cannon should it come to it.

"Pyroar use Fire Blast on Lucario. Gyarados use Hydro Pump on Houndoom," Lysandre ordered, he had completely lost his cool compared to when he was battling with Kyra.

Pyroar began charging up a Fire Blast and he sent it towards Lucario whilst Gyarados slithered to the side and began charging a Hydro Pump. The attacks combined were powerful, but Malva knew she would have a counter to them.

"Lucario counter Hydro Pump with Flash Cannon. Houndoom, take that Fire Blast!" Malva replied, battling on the defensive was the safest bet.

Houndoom jumped up to absorb the Fire Blast sent towards Lucario, powering up her Fire Type attacks in the process. Lucario on the otherhand ducked just in case any of Fire Blast wasn't absorbed and began charging a Flash Cannon, shooting out the silver beam towards the oncoming spiral of water. As the two attacks collided, it was clear to see that Flash Cannon was stronger, easily negating Hydro Pump's power.

Lysandre was growing irritated, Malva had just gotten lucky with her call. "I see how it is, in that case. Gyarados use Hydro Pump and Pyroar use Fire Blast, aim it at Lucario!"

With the combination of Hydro Pump to Fire Blast, Houndoom wouldn't be able to absorb its power. A combination counter was Malva's only chance. The two attacks combined from Lysandre's pokémon, heading straight towards Lucario and putting pressure on Malva to make the right call.

Malva thought her plan through, remembering that Dragon Pulse amd Dark Pulse had proven to be a good combination in the past. "Houndoom, use Dark Pulse. Lucario, jump out of the way and then use Dragon Pulse!"

Lucario jumped to be next to Houndoom. The two powered up their attacks, Houndoom shooting out the dark circles whilst Lucario shot out the two dragon entities from her paws.

Their attacks combined and raced to overpower Gyarados and Pyroar's. For a contradictory combination, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump was certainly a powerful one.