Chapter 32 - Graceful Battling

Willow was the first one up the next morning, she could hardly wait to battle Valerie. She woke Kyra up and told her to get ready as quickly as possible, Kyra was still half asleep, but worked out the gist of what was happening.

"We won't be able to go until Nate's ready anyway."

Willow was more than happy to go and wake Nate up, so Kyra let her and reluctantly got out of bed. Although she was looking forward to the battle and going to the Pokéball Factory as planned that afternoon, it was still a little bit too early for her liking.

Kyra knew that Nate would take his time getting ready, so she gave herself a few extra minutes in bed as Lucario agreed to wake her up again after those five minutes were up.

Lucario followed Kyra's instructions a tee, waking her up by throwing a change of clothes at her. Kyra thanked her partner and finally got out of bed, those five minutes had helped give her that little boost of energy she still needed to get up.

Kyra was ready and downstairs in the lobby with Lucario by the time Nate and Willow got downstairs. The trio had a quick breakfast with their pokémon, doing a quick planning session with their teams before heading off to the Laverre City Gym.

From what Valerie had said yesterday, the trio were excited to see the inside of the Gym. Since Valerie was originally from Johto, that was what the inside of her Gym was inspired by. Traditional and beautiful, that was what Johto was known for.

"Welcome you three, I've been looking forward to this. Nate, since we didn't get chance to meet properly yesterday, I'd like to battle you first," Valerie said, beckoning Nate down to the battle field.

Nate agreed to go whilst Kyra and Willow stayed up on the sidelines. There were holographic walls which depicted two towers, cherry blossom trees and their petals floating dreamily through the air, the barriers a red wooden fence. This is exactly what the trio would have expected a Johto themed Gym to be like from what they had heard of the Region.

Valerie liked to battle in two on two single battles, using her Sylveon and Mawile as her main two pokémon.

Nate fought back with Meowstic and Aerodactyl. Kyra was surprised to see just how different Nate's Meowstic battled compared to her own, almost ad surprised to see Nate using some strategy rather than just going for all out power.

Once Nate had won his Gym Badge, Valerie beckoned Kyra down to battle, wanting to save Willow for last since they used the same pokémon.

"I've been told you're quite the analytical trainer, I knew I'd have to switch up my strategy when it came to battling you. Spritzee, come on out!" Valerie said, taking Kyra completely by surprise.

She had never seen a pokémon like Spritzee before, nor did she had any idea how to go about battling it.

"Spritzee, the Perfume pokémon, a Fairy Type. These pokémon emit a unique scent which enraptures anyone who smells it. A different scent will be produced depending on what the Spritzee has eaten."

There wasn't much difference between its Physical and Special Defense, so Kyra was happy in sending out her intended lead to Meowstic. Considering Spritzee wasn't a fully evovled pokémon yet, Kyra guessed that Valerie would make good use of stat changing moves.

"So you also have a Meowstic, she's so cute. Cuteness however won't always get you the furthest. Spritzee, start off with Light Screen," Valerie said, making her move.

Spritzee formed a light blue shield in front of her, raising her resistance to Special attacks.

As Kyra expected, stat changing moves. Light Sceeen was far from ideal since Meowstic didn't have any Physical attacks, this would be a long battle.