Chapter 20 - Mega Evolution

Kyra had her Staff ready, looking forward to witnessing Lucario's Mega Evolved form for the first time. Lucario was just as excited, she wanted this extra power and learn to master it.

"Alright Lucario, let's show off our bond. Mega Evolve!" Kyra said, the lights between her Key Stone and Lucario's Lucarionite connecting.

Lucario glowed the same colour Alain's Charizard had done yesterday. Two of her aura sensors grew longer and her tail grew fluffier. More spikes began to grow, another set of spikes grew on her hands and a set grew on her feet and shoulders. The glow stopped to reveal red accents on her feet, hands, and the two longer aura sensors. Mega Lucario at last.

"How do you feel? Do you like it?" Kyra asked.

Lucario nodded, "I love it, I feel so powerful! Now let's see how this goes."

Gurkinn was glad to see Kyra and Lucario taking it slow rather than rushing straight to a call. It wasn't unusual for a pokémon to lose control of their power once they Mega Evolved for the first time, not that he was worried, a strong bond like the one Kyra and Lucario shared would stop that loss of control. He too Mega Evolved his Lucario and took the first move, wanting to see the Staff in action. "Use Metal Claw!"

"Block with Bone Rush!" Kyra called in reply, Lucario forming the attack as her trainer had asked.

Gurkinn's Lucario was a little slower than Korrina's Lucario, giving Kyra and Lucario more time to counter. The two had their defense ready, blocking Gurkinn's Lucario's Metal Claw.

"Impressive, considering Lucario's ability upon Mega Evolution becomes Adaptability," Gurkinn commented.

Kyra had Lucario hit Gurkinn's Lucario away before replying, "Thanks, Bone Rush is a move we've certainly enjoyed working on. Now let's put Adaptability to good use, use Aura Sphere!"

Now Mega Evolved, Lucario found herself forming a more power Aura Sphere much quicker than normal, Adaptability really was working in her favour. She targeted Gurkinn's Lucario and sent her attack towards him, taken aback slightly by just how fast the attack sped across the field.

Gurkinn's Lucario remained unfazed and he formed a Bone Rush to split apart the oncoming Aura Sphere, surprised by just how powerful and resistant it was.

Now was Kyra and Lucario's chance to show off Flash Cannon and Dragon Pulse. "Add some power to that with Flash Cannon, then use Dragon Pulse!"

Lucario knew just what Kyra was thinking and she started powering up Flash Cannon, sending the powerful silver beam towards her Aura Sphere. She didn't wait to see how it went before forming a Dragon Pulse at either one of her paws, using them to attack Gurkinn's Lucario from either side.

Three attacks at once, something Gurkinn could handle well. Korrina and Kyra were similar trainers in that sense, although Kyra was much more controlled and thought out whilst Korrina was just relentless without thinking through her plan. "Use your aura."

At the last possible second, Gurkinn's Lucario managed to jump out of the way, landing behind Kyra's Lucario.

"Aura Sphere!"

Kyra's Lucario didn't have the chance to get away before being hit with Aura Sphere, taking a lot of damage. She was struggling to get back to her feet, knowing true well that Gurkinn and Lucario weren't the kind of opponents to hold back. Was this battle over already?

"You two put up a good fight, but this battle is over. Use Blaze Kick!" Gurkinn called, spotting an opening whilst Kyra's Lucario was struggling.

Kyra and Lucario weren't finished yet. They had come back from being back into worse corners before, today was no different. Kyra had her full trust in Lucario, she knew her partner wouldn't give up until she had nothing left to give.