Chapter Seventeen

*three years earlier*

Harry's POV

Athena and I are getting apart. I haven't seen her. I haven't talked to her. I haven't texted her. Most people would come out of a unanimous idea, but there is no any wrong: I have been avoiding Athena since the day I found out she was dating Brad. It would only make me hurt to see her smile for boys except for me, and I know that is called jealousy, which is killing me seriously for the first time.

The problem is, the friggin' boyfriend is around me. I don't think I have anything left that he can take from me since he has everything, but still, I don't walk away to wait for him. He slowly opens his mouth, "Harry, have you heard from Athena these past few days?"

Why would he ask me about it? I was hoping for another question because he clearly knows he is the closest person to Athena.

"No," I say, and try to walk past him.

Brad hurriedly pulls my arm to stop me. "Well, Athena hasn't attended school for weeks..." His voice is fading. "I've been texting her the whole week, but she never replies. I'm so worried."

His words do stop me in my tracks. "What?! She never replied?"

"No," he mumbles.

The books in my hand fall to the floor. I can't think straight. And if I try, my every thought turns negative. What could have happened to Athena?

I immediately run toward the exit of the school without any hassles. Everyone looks at me suspiciously, but I don't care. All I care about is Athena. I don't have other rooms for other things.

I just run absolutely flat out. The speed is supposed to be rapid, but it feels like a terribly long time until I reach Athena's house.

I knock on the door. "Athena!" I shout through it, but no response. "Athena, it's me, Harry! I know you're inside so please let me in!"

A few minutes later, I hear the sound of a lock opening. "Harry..."

It's her. It is her. Although it took me a moment to realize, she is Athena. But she looks completely weakened.

"Athena? Are you alright? You look... so different." I put my hand on her cheek, looking at her pale face.

She lets me in, and then to the couch. I'm not looking at her shape very much, she has lost so much weight. Now I instantly sense that she is going through something painful and I want to hold her right now.

"Tell me what happened," I demand.

She looks tearful. Of course, she is hurt. Everyone would be sorry for her if they saw the situation. I'm just wondering how something can make a girl like this so sad, on the contrary. What in the world could make Athena feel this way, I can't imagine.

"My grandmother passed away."

Oh shit.

That's so shitty.

"I'm sorry, Athena," I say, wrapping my arms around her.

I realize how shitty it is. You can't blame anyone for it.

"It's okay, Harry. But I don't know why I became like this. Last year when I lost my grandfather, I was sad but didn't become this weakness. Now I feel so tired of everything and don't have enough energy to do anything."