Chapter 10: Where do we go from here?

Chapter 10 | Where do we go from here?

"Honey, how and why do you know how to pick a lock?"-Thomas Reid

-------------------------------------

-November 29th 460 days since the start of the end of the world.

-It's been two weeks since the attack on the camp. We are all bunkered in the cafeteria. My dad cleared all the biters outside and patched up the wall. It's not the best but it will have to do for now.

-I made the mistake of letting my dad patch my arm up because when he did he somehow saw all the markings I had on my back from Miranda's beatings as a child. Now every time my dad isn't busy he asks me about what they are from. I don't tell him though because he has enough on his plate to deal with and he doesn't need the reasoning of them in the back of his mind. And plus however much I hate to admit this my dad really did love Miranda.

-My dad is a mess over Miranda's death. I kinda feel bad that I caused it. Cody and Emily however are completely unbothered with the fact that their mother is dead. Jasmine is in denial that her mom and little sister are both dead and Kayden is just mad at everything.

-------------------------------------

-December 2nd 463 days since the start of the end of the world.

-The morning was boring. I did a check up on Madison crazy to think that she's already 8 months old.

-The rest of the day I go to the library and Kayden is there as well.

-We were just reading books then Kayden burst into tears.

-"I really miss my mom", he says. His head is in my lap and his tears soak my shirt.

-"It's okay", I say trying to console him I brush the hair on his head with my fingers. I've never been the one to console him, it's usually the other way around.

-At some point we are both laying on the ground this time Kayden isn't just the one holding me we are holding each other.

-----------------------------------

-December 15th 476 days since the start of the end of the world.

-Me and Kayden are closer than we ever have been before. He has officially called me his girlfriend in front of everyone.

-My dad apparently had a little chat with Kayden when they went out for supplies the other day Kayden didn't tell me what was exactly said but in summary it was if you don't treat my daughter right I will not be "happy" to put it lightly.

-My dad also had a chat with me today.

-"Hey I know you're a teenager and you feel like you can do whatever you want but please be respectful to one another," my dad tells me.

-"I know dad."

-"And also I know Kayden is a good kid but he's still 2 years older than you. You don't need to do certain things just because he's older and you feel pressured to-"