Chapter 7: On the road

Chapter 7 | On the road

"Leave me here. I don't want you risking your lives in order to accommodate for me."-Ava

------------------------------------------

-May 15th 271 days since the start of the end of the world.

-We have been on this boat for over a month and I found out real quick that I get sea sick very easily. Between stopping for me because I keep throwing up and scavenging for supplies and fuel we have only made it to Virginia so far.

-"I think we should stop here permanently", my father says to all of us after docking the boat.

-"What?" I say. "We're almost there-" I try saying and throw up off the side of the boat.

-"See that's why", my dad says. "You can't even eat anything without throwing it all up within an hour."

-"But won't it be dangerous", Jasmine says as she rocks Madison in her arms.

-"We're really going to risk our lives on land because Ava can't handle being on a boat", Cody says.

-"Yeah dad I'm fine we can keep going", I say and throw up again.

-"No Ava you are literally green we are stopping here", my dad says.

-"What are you planning on doing?" Miranda asks.

-"Me, Cody, and Kayden are going to go find two cars and that's how we are going to travel while you 5 stay in the boat."

-"Leave me here", I say. "I don't want you risking your lives in order to accommodate for me."

-"We're not just going to leave you here Ava. You will die being alone", Kayden tells me.

-"Well since we're in Virginia why don't we head to Washington", Diana says.

-"Yeah", Mariah chimes in. "If there is a place the military would keep safe it would be the capital right?"

-"Okay", my father says. "To Washington we go. How far are we anyway?" 

-"Well we're at Virginia beach right now so typically that's a four hour drive but with the way things are maybe a four day trip", I say.

-"Okay", my dad says. "I can work with that tomorrow we head out."

-My dad, Kayden, and Cody go out in search of two vehicles. They come back before dusk with a short bus that will fit us all in.

-"Figured it would be safer all being in one vehicle compared to two", my dad says after Miranda questions his choice of vehicles.

-Everyone stays on the boat for the night except me and Kayden. I can't sleep one more night on the floor of that boat with it rocking back in fourth from the waves.

-"You know I could sleep in here myself. I know how much you hate being away from your niece", I say playfully.

-"We'll I kinda wanted to be away from everyone, been on that boat cramped with everyone for too long and plus you might get car sick and need me", he says jokingly.