Chapter 39: Adjustment

Chapter 39 | Adjustment

Episodes 9x7(Stradivarius), and 9x8(Evolution)

"He gets it. He always understands me even when I don't understand myself. The thing is, it's been 9 years since Carl died. I thought I would be ready by now."-Ava Reid

-------------------------------------

-September 2nd 2021 4024 days since the start

-It's been 7 years since Rick died. 9 since Carl died and 11 since the start of everything. After Rick died Alexandria separated from hilltop, Oceanside and the kingdom. I haven't seen Michonne since Rick died or Judith. I heard that Michonne had a son after Rick died she named him RJ(Rick junior). Maya will be 9 soon and she asks me all the time if we can go to Alexandria so she can meet her Auntie. I still haven't been to Alexandria in 9 years. Michonne won't bring Judith to the hilltop. I know I should just take Maya to Alexandria but it still hurts. I wish Maggie let me leave the hilltop with her. She left a few years ago to help Georgie. She didn't let me go with her said hilltop needed me. So Jesus has been the leader of the hilltop these past years but me and Tara who are his "council" both know he would rather someone else do it. He tried so hard this year to have me run against him for leadership. I didn't run against him. I'm a doctor not a leader. Tara would be a good leader but not me.

-"Hold still." I say to Maya while braiding her hair.

-"Why does my hair have to be braided? I like when it's down." Maya says.

-"Because it's over 85 degrees out and the last time you didn't let me put your hair up it was a tangled mess. So would you rather this now or brushing your hair tonight until you can't feel your scalp." I say.

-"Keep braiding please." Maya says.

-"That's what I thought." I say and put the elastic on the end of her braid.

-"See you look beautiful." I say and move her closer to the mirror.

-"I look like you mommy." She says.

-"Yep mommy always has her hair braided." I say.

-"Come one we got to get to Ms Joanna's." I say and open the door.

-----------------------------------

-"You have got to be more careful. This is the second time this week." I say to Alden wrapping up a burn on his hand.

-"Gives me a good reason to bother you, Miss Danger." Alden says.

-"Haven't heard you call me that in a while." I say.

-"We haven't really talked much lately. It got me thinking about things." Alden says.

-"What kind of things." I say and he leans in and kisses me.

-I was surprised by this but I kiss him back but I don't know if I'm ready for this type of relationship with someone again.

-"Alden I don't know if I'm ready for a relationship right now. I think it's probably better if we just stayed friends." I say.