Chapter 3: Happy Birthday

Chapter 3 | Happy Birthday

"Happy Birthday Ava"-Kayden

-------------------------------------------

-August 28th Day Two since the end of the World and also my 13th birthday.

-We dug a grave for Hannah yesterday. I made a cross to put on her grave with some loose tree branches.

-Nobody has gone outside, we all have been bunkering in the house.

-My dad says that we have enough supplies to last us a few months if we portion them out well enough.

-"Happy birthday", I woke up to my dad picking me up and putting me on his shoulder like he did when I was little.

-"Thanks dad", I say laughing.

-I sleep on the floor in Emily and Elizabeths room because I do not want to be alone in the attic at night anymore.

-We enjoy the day we play board games and try not to worry about what is going on outside.

-"Help me!" We hear a man outside calling interrupting the game of Uno we were playing.

-My dad runs for the door and tries to get the boards off of it with the help of Cody and Kayden.

-The man fires off some rounds at the biters but to no avail before my dad gets the last board off the door gets tackled and swarmed by biters.

-Me and Elizabeth watch as that man screams bloody murder while getting eaten alive.

-Then the bitters start to swarm toward the door and Cody and Kayden hold the door shut while my dad tries to put the boards back on.

-"Miranda!" My dad yells while trying to keep the door shut. "Get the guns."

-I go to help keep the door shut.

-My dad is finally able to get the boards back on the door.

-The biters are still at the door trying to get in.

-My dad tells everyone to shut up and not talk and hopefully they will go away on their own.

-We stay quiet for the rest of the evening. Nobody talked except for a faint whisper.

-I ended up going up to the attic after we ate dinner. I don't like going up there but there's books up there so it will give me something to do other than just sitting there doing nothing.

-While I was reading a book I heard someone coming up the stairs. Thinking that it was Cody I grabbed the pocket knife out of my pocket and got it ready. I will not let him hurt me like he did again. The door opens and I brace myself ready to attack if needed.

-It wasn't Cody it was Kayden. I feel relieved and put the knife away without him seeing it.

-"How is it going", Kayden says.

-"Just reading Of mice and men", I say. "What's my dad doing down there?"

-"He's sitting by the door watching it with his shotgun in hand", Kayden tells me.

-"What you come up here for", I ask.

-"Oh just to read like you", he says.

-"Really", I say laughing. "You reading."

-"I am offended by why you think that's funny", he says laughing.

-"Tell me three books you have read that aren't comic books", I say.

-"Okay fine you got me I didn't come up here to read", he says.

-"So you came up here for?"

-He then walks behind me, moves my hair out of the way and puts a necklace on me.

-Its a little gold necklace with a gold butterfly on it.

-"It's beautiful", I say. "How did you get this?"

-"I got it for your birthday. I grabbed it before I ran out of the house. I wanted to make sure that you had it", he told me.

-"Well it's amazing", I say and give him a hug when we pull away he looks me in the eyes for a few seconds.

-"Happy Birthday Ava"

Word count 603