Prologue

"Baby."

His deep British accent resounds through the silent room. He has been saying the same word for almost an hour, but I have yet to respond to one of those, and I'm already tired of him trying to take my attention.

I sigh, "Stop calling me that."

This may please him because I finally spoke out. As I look at his face, he gives me an innocent look. That makes me nervous and unable to express anything, so I soon look away to take back my emotions.

"Why, babe?" As he walks toward me, his face is getting very close to mine, of course, but since I will never allow myself to feel any butterflies around me, I immediately avert my gaze.

"It is obvious that I don't like it when you call me that."

There is silence that must be the awkwardest one in my teenage life. When his hand gently touches mine, I see the cross tattoo. And I'm vaguely feeling something or I don't know, now that I realize his hand is trying to hold mine. I snap back to myself instantly and bring my hand behind my back to keep it out of his sight. But the next second, he comes around me, smoothly putting his face on my shoulder which is unexpected.

"Well, I like it," he whispers. The time I roll my eyes, he smirks.

My mind gets annoyed so I firmly try to push him away from me, but it seems like he doesn't budge an inch.

"Don't roll your eyes."

With those words he utters, I can also feel his breath around my neck. I hate the voice is soft instead of offensive or provocative. I begin to be puzzled about what to feel around his comfy body and gentle voice, which are pieces that make me think he is warm.

But I'm not going to show him what's in my mind at this moment. I have to hide it. I have to make sure not to open my heart to him, look him in the eye, or give him any human affection. I know it will be exhausting, at least it is okay now, but it will be very tiring later. Well, it's now or never to define the boundaries since I don't think I can ever peacefully share a room with this person.

He licks his lower lips. "Why do you hate it, babe?"

Babe.

All I want to do right now is walk out the door and run away from him.

"Is it because I'm your ex-boyfriend?" he mutters in a quite clear voice, like how he wants me to hear it.

I was going to leave but my body gets frozen. My mouth gets frozen, too. The only thing my spirit accepts to do is stand still in front of him.

"Athena?" His low soft voice calls my name this time. This used to be my favorite thing.