31. THE THREE MUSKETEERS

"You've got to be a tad bit careful now don't you, Subhadra?"questioned Dau, sarcasm dripping off of every word.

She smiled at him sheepishly, "I am being careful, O Foremost Wielder of the Mace, Mighty Balbhadra."she said pressing longer than necessary on each syllable.

"No you aren't and stop calling me that, I feel odd. Dau works perfectly fine."he retorted.

"I don't wanna go inside. Please, I've been locked up for god knows how long, and I think I'll end myself out of boredom if you send me indoors again."she pouted.

Rolling his eye Balrama spoke, "Oh hush now, you're going to be a mother soon, you need to act like it. And plus, Sutasoma is looking for you."

"Soma is asleep, brother dearest."she eyed him.

"Umm well, get inside anyways, you can not hop around anymore now, you might trip or something. And I'm not rambling, I have a perfect account of your not so hidden clumsiness."

Groaning she trudged forward, but not before she said, "I saw you hiding in the pantry, feeding yourself with butter, Bharata Krishna's pot to be precise. That's not the behaviour of a man who has three kids."

He flushed with embarrassment and mock glared at her, it wasn't his fault. Between the two foodies and the kids, he remained a bit famished, a damsel in distress, whose food was slurped by many others than him.

"Is this a discussion I was uninvited to?" pained Keshava, popping in the conversation out of the blue.

"Ah well, you need not know about everything that goes around here, do you brother. Farewell, Damodara. Farewell, Mahabali."saying so, she walked away, a hand kept securely on her swollen tummy.

Krishna raised an eye at his elder brother, seeking an explanation for her odd behavior and uncommon addressals.

"Do not stare at me Kanha. She's always been too much. All thanks to you."he said, the corners of his mouth slight upturned, the girl never failed to amuse him, he had to give her that.

"Ah well, I am proud she takes after me."he replied, wiping away fake tears.

"I can't take the drama anymore."saying so, Dau pulled him into a headlock, while the latter laughed and grumbled all at once.

_____________

"Veer Mata!"shrieked Shrutasena, having just learnt how to talk.

"Yes, Veer Mata."nodded Shrutkarma.

"Why have you taught him to call me that Karma? Is it because I'm the mother of you five brave young men?" she smiled, taking him into her arms.

"Maybe, but we call you that because Veer means brave, and you are our brave mother. You're our hero."smiled Soma.

Her eyes glistened as she pecked him on the cheek, "Anything for you darling."

Meanwhile Shatanika came forward and started tapping on her bloated stomach, "When are you thinking of coming out? I can not wait! Are you my brother or sister? What are you doing in there?"he spoke to the unborn child.
She couldn't help but laugh at his words, he had animised the baby way too much.

"The baby will come when it's supposed to."she said pinching his cheek.

"Woah, look Ma, the baby just moved."he exclaimed, having felt it kick in response to his voice.