11. FIRE AND ICE

The love of fire and ice. It's loss. It's redemption. It's comfort. It's everything.

The chariot moved steadily on the winding road towards Kampilya, the foremost city of Panchal.

Panchal had the biggest feat of the century, the birth of its twin wonders.

The fierce general of Drupad, the warrior prince, the hot headed man, Rajkumar Drishtadyumn.

And his twin sister, the woman of elemental fire, the motivated and robust, the heavenly beauty, Rajkumari Draupadi.

"She's gonna be one of the most important persons of your life, sister." Dwarkadeesh (Krishna, the king of Dwarka) said.

"How'd you know that? We haven't even met!" she exclaimed.

"Just a hunch."he winked.

"More like you already know what's gonna happen and like to have fun with it?" she spoke up.

"I can't see no future, it's just the circumstances that I see." he replied.

"You're one confusing guy." she remarked.

"I'll take that. I am pretty confusing."he laughed at himself.

"How do Rukmini and Satyabhama jiji (sister) endure you ?" she teased.

" Ayeeee. They love me!" he frowned.

" Whatever you say!" she raised her hands.

She was well off sleeping around in Dwarka, but of course her brother dragged her along to Panchal as soon as he heard of the fire borns.

He said the Princess is gonna be the fuel of righteousness for the coming times and Subhadra will be her torch.

She swore she had no idea how he got these metaphorical references in his head. But well, she was keen to see the lady herself, maybe befriend her.

Kampilya has its own wonder, an awestrucking one, very different from the calmness of Dwarka and mysticity of Hastinapur.

They got down and she hugged Princess Shikhandini, her long time friend. They had been writing to each other since their early girlhood. She was much older to her and thus was like an elder sister.

" Where is my replacement, Jiji?" she asked crossing her arms.

Laughing she replied, "Draupadi is waiting for us in the inner gardens. She is excited to meet you."

" The feeling is mutual. By the way, how old is princess physically?" inquired Yadavi.

"She's older than you for sure." smiled Shikhandini.

"Why am I deemed to be the youngest always? Cruel fate!"she whined like a child.

The woman was a piece of art, dusky skin of shimmer, eyes of the darkest coal, a thick black mane of untangled straight hair and the prettiest smile.

She didn't give out immediate threatening vibe, but that of a blooming bud, a hope, a friendship.

Panchali was likewise awestruck by the girl walking by her sister. She was her polar opposite with pearly milky skin that actually glimmered, hazel soaked orbs, and chestnut locks.

Both the divine energies stood facing each other. Subhadra went up and hugged her, the warmest embrace she could gather. Draupadi was taken aback, she was not used to affection, having received it very less, but nonetheless she reverted the hug.

A jolt of knowingness passed down their spines and Subhadra remembered Chandra Dev's words, "You shall the perfect moon to the woman of fire."

"I had heard so many tales about you Yadav Kumari, that I was anxious to meet you."began Panchali.

"I am younger than you Jiji, you must call not call me Princess. I'll be Subhadra for you." smiled Yadavi.

"You really like sunflowers, don't you sister? The garden looks like a sea of yellow." remarked Chitra.

"Yes, I do love them. I would love if someone gives me sunflowers as a present."said Draupadi dreamily.

"Hmmm."smiled Subhadra.

They spent the day simply getting to know each other, laying down a foundation of their relationship.

They were very different yet alike. Like the majestic Ying and Yang, different and complete.

Draupadi was delighted on having found a friend in Subhadra and her brother Govind, the mystic guy.

The next day, he quick to his wits prevented a war between the revered Dronacharya and PanchalRaj (king of Panchal) Drupad,  and helped Draupadi win the affections of her father, who hurt and betrayed had lost all faith on his daughters.

Draupadi found the siblings enigmatic, like they were from a different era, a unique flare. The three hung out all day, frolicking.

After having spent a week in Panchal, it was time for the two to depart.

"I'll miss you. Will you come to my Swayamvara next month?" inquired Draupadi, teary eyed.

Subhadra took her hand in her own, "I would have come if I were a prince desperately in love with you!"

"You're such a big doofus!"Draupadi pulled her ears.

"Don't go on falling in love with every pretty guy, Jiji."laughed Subhadra.

"God no. I am difficult to impress. But keep that in mind for your marriage."smirked Draupadi.

"Eh! I am not going to marry anyone. I'd rather be alone." frowned the girl.

"We will see." said Draupadi with finality and hugged her tightly, not knowing when she'll see those twinkling eyes again.

"The next time we meet, you'll be getting a golden bouquet of sunflowers. That's my promise."whispered Subhadra.

The sunflowers? Yes they also have a role in the story. A rather big one.
Stay tuned. Major events coming ahead!

Vote people vote.