26. THE LONE PARENT

Remember me, though I have to say goodbye
Remember me, don't let it make you cry
Cause even if I'm far away, I hold you in my heart
I'll sing a secret song to you each night we are apart

Subhadra had taken a long bath, rubbing her skin a little too hard, to remove the dirty touch of that devil, and had reapplied the ointments. After all that, she felt a little odd, a bone breaking weakness spreading in her veins.

"Sakhi, can you possibly send for the Ayurvati, I don't feel too well. I think I need to sit down."saying so, she thumped down onto the mattress.
Her heart was erratic in its beat, as if
trying to escape out of its rib cage.

Soon enough, the elder lady entered her chamber and started checking her vitals. She did a little test on her, an came back half an hour later, a kind and sad look on her face, "Dear one, you are going to become a mother. But there is something different about your conception, I can't quite figure it out. But I can assure you that it's nothing to worry about."

Subhadra's breath hitched in her throat, her slender fingers instinctively over her womb, as a gasp fell out of her lips.

She blinked at the old lady, her long lashes breaking her view, who have her an assuring smile.
"Take this potion dear, it'll help with the dizziness."

She sat down by the bay window, and smiled tearily. Motherhood, she'd never thought of it much, but now that it was here, she couldn't wait for it. The thought of a tiny little one, growing inside her, filled her with a new feel, one of protectiveness, of love, of belonging.

But then the thoughts of the day, hit her like a brick wall, and her irises glossed over, "I am so sorry, my child that you had to see that. I am so sorry."

The next moment, she was called for in the common room, apparently Bhratshree had been successful in calming Draupadi and all of them were to be gathered for a deliberation.

She entered the room and was engulfed by Draupadi, "My brother is awesome, ain't he?"

"No doubt at that, no doubt."smiled Draupadi, completely besotted by the unique ways of her Govind.

She seated Subhadra down, for the latter still limped due to the gashes, and stood beside her, an arm around her shoulder.

Subhadra, was about to tell her of the fresh hot discovery she'd made, but then Krishna entered, and so did the all the brothers, a grave look mirroring their faces.

Arjun's eyes were bloodshot, like he'd just shed a lot of pain, and was still refusing to meet her eyes.

She felt a void forming in her soul, a deep dark pit, when she saw the way Sahadeva was looking at her, pity in his eyes.

She tuned to Krishna, who gave her a warm smile, though his eyes betrayed him.

The very next moment, Bheem spoke out, "The Kauravas have set us free, but not completely. There is a condition, we've been exiled for fourteen years, the last year to be spent incognito."