Chapter 48: Voldemort's downfall

Start from the beginning

"What are we doing now", I heard Hermione whisper. I wiped my tears away, trying to find my voice again. "Harry needs to see the memory", I said with such a stern voice, Severus would have smirked if he would still be here. "What does it contain", he asked. "Go to Dumbledore's office and watch it. Harry this is the answer you have been looking for. I only know a small part but whatever is in that memory, you will understand everything once you've seen it, and only you", I said to him. Harry knelt down beside me and patted my shoulder. "You love him, don't you", he said, and I flinched and closed my eyes rapidly. I slowly nodded my head. "Dumbledore promised me to keep him safe", I whispered. "He lied to me". I took a deep breath. "You need to go, Harry", and the trio left the Shrieking Shack.

I was alone. Severus was gone and I didn't know what to do anymore. My arms rested on my sides when I noticed something in my pocket. I reached inside it and found a vial. I remembered that Dumbledore gave it to me, but I didn't know how anything was supposed to save him from this. Besides, he took his last breath already, but the teeny tiny hope inside me had to try anyway. I carefully opened the vial, and I slowly forced the little potion down his throat. For 10 minutes, I had watched him, and nothing happened. My heart couldn't take it anymore. I needed fresh air to clear my mind somehow, even though I believed it to be impossible. Before I left though, I slowly leaned in and kissed his still warm forehead. "Thank you. Thank you for being everything I ever needed". I knew he would never hear my voice again, but I needed to say it.

I left. My heart burned and I hated myself, but I just needed to leave. It isn't going to do me any good. I hurried back to the castle, worried to death when no one was outside. I carefully opened the door the Great Hall and what I found inside, made me almost puke. Dead students were covered with blankets. Some were sitting down; others were crying, and some teachers were trying to comfort them. I walked further down and found the Weasley family crying for someone. No. I thought. No, not one of them too. I fastened my pace and when I reached them, I couldn't believe my eyes. Remus, pale but still peaceful looking... and Tonks was laying beside him. I gasped and tears spilled once again. Fred and George hugged me, and I buried my face on one of their chests.

When I regained control, I was making my way to Dumbledore's office, hoping that Harry was still there. The Weasley's tried to stop me, but I couldn't let them. When I opened the door, I saw him sitting on the stairs. When I entered, he looked up at me. Harry got up and hugged me. "I... I never knew. I understand now. I am so terribly sorry. I never wanted anyone to die for me", and he started sobbing quietly. I gently stroked his back and tears once again, threatened to leave my eyes, but I had to control myself. When we broke the hug, I spoke to him. "Severus always made sure that you were safe. He didn't have the best way of showing it to you, but he cared. He cared so much about you Harry. Whatever you're about to do now, I know you can do it. We will finish him. There is no way that he will get to live while so many others sacrificed their lives for us", I promised him.

We left the office together, but parted ways soon. I went back to the Great Hall and Harry went to find Hermione and Ron. When I reached the Great Hall, my instinct to help let me forget for a short amount of time what had happened. I was able to mend a few broken noses and heal a few wounds here and there. Even though I thought I was distracted, I caught my mind wandering back to...him.

"Everything alright dear?", McGonagall asked me. For me, there was no need to pretend anymore. Harry already knew the truth, which is what counted. "No", I whispered and shook my head. Her arms reached me, and I gladly accepted a hug from her. "He's... he's gone", I told her. "Who's gone?", she asked. I took a deep breath. "Severus is gone", I answered. McGonagall was about to answer when we noticed more and more students going outside.

Pretty much everyone was assembled outside when they arrived. "We won, we won, we won. Hahaha", Bellatrix screamed happily. "Who is Hagrid carrying?", I hear Ginny ask. Before anyone could answer hear, Voldemort walked a few more steps and was clearly visible now. "Harry Potter... is dead", he yelled calmy. "No, noooo", Ginny screamed, and Arthur had to gather every strength he could muster to held her back. Her scream only reminded me of my own that happened hours ago. "Silence. Stupid girl", he accused her. "Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith... in me", he smiled wickedly. Hermione and Ron were breathing hard, not really believing their best friend to be dead.