[Intermission 3] Morro's Gift

"How is your arm?"

"Better," You slowly lifted your arm, only able to raise it halfway up before the pain became too unbearable. You offered a one-shoulder shrug to Wu, "Shadows can be painful, huh?"

Wu nodded. "I am relieved that you are okay. Now, then," Wu walked towards the monastery's exit, "shall we head off?"

You nodded and followed after Wu. The two of you walked down the stairs silently towards the Forest of Tranquility, towards where Morro was now laid to rest. You had a backpack slung over your uninjured arm. Some snacks, a bottle of water, and a few bandages were tucked inside. Sticking out was the small bouquet of wild flowers you picked and tied together in the short amount of time you had.

The "party" at Ignacia didn't last all that long. There was a fair bit of celebration, and some congratulations were sent to the ninja, though the people of Ignacia simply wanted to get back to their daily lives. The walk back to the monastery was uneventful, especially since you had take a detour to go and collect flowers.

And now, just after lunch, you were heading to see Morro.

You reached the bottom of the mountain and continued to the nearby Forest of Tranquility. The sky was mostly clear, the winds just barely below a breath. The trees up ahead stood still as you and Wu entered the woods.

The forest didn't seem to change much as you grew closer. And when you reached your destination, you stopped for a moment to simply take it all in. The clearing was tiny, but the trees around were as close as the rest of the forest. A tiny, tiny pond lied at the edge of the clearing, and not too far away...

You approached the upturned earth and knelt before it. You inspected the wooden headstone jutting out from the ground. Your Ninjagoan reading skills weren't as great as your speech, but you knew how Morro's name was written by heart, even after all these years. There was already a small, white flower planted just beside the headstone.

You slipped off your backpack and set it beside you. You took out the small bouquet and set it upon the grave before offering a tiny, sad smile. Your eyes dropped down to your hands as new tears began to fall from your eyes.

Wu knelt down beside you and set a hand upon your shoulder. "It will be okay."

"Yeah, I... I know," You softly replied. You wiped your cheek with the back of your hand. "I spent all this time wondering where he was, if he was okay, if he was still alive, and now he's..." You shook your head in dismay, "It hurts a lot, Father..."

"I know it does," Wu quietly spoke. "I understand, (Y/n)."

You sniffed as you wiped your face again. You quietly exhaled as the wind softly picked up. You could hear the leaves high up above dance in the breeze. "You said Morro was your first student...?"

Wu gently nodded. "He was. The most determined, focused student I ever had. He had been the first to befriend you so quickly, was he not?"

"Yeah..." You nodded. "The others were so scared of me, but Morro gave me a chance..." You wiped at your eyes again. "He taught me how to fight and how to protect myself... He helped me when I was sick and was always there for me..."

"He was the first in many things, wasn't he?" Wu quietly asked. "He had completed the test the quickest and he had shown the most improvement over his Element..."

You took a deep breath in before slowly letting it out. "I miss him."

"I do, as well," Wu stated. He let out a soft sigh before getting up. "We should head back. I'm not sure if the others should be left on their own for too long."