eighty-five

Triggering content, viewer discretion advised.

November 23rd, 2001

Beatrice woke up in the middle of the night as a searing pain shot right through her spine and pierced up to her lower abdomen. Her upper thighs tensed as she hissed in pain, quickly turning on the light as the pain dissipated.

Only for it to start again five minutes later.

And again, five minutes later.

Something was wrong.

She could feel it. Something was wrong.

"Polly!" Beatrice called loudly, the house elf appearing with a loud crack in her bedroom not a second after.

"Yes Miss Bea?"

"Something's wrong," Beatrice grunted, the pain increasing with every single wave of torturous agony. "Get Juliette, please."

The elf vanished, only to reappear not long after, dragging Juliette and Aster along with her.

"I'm here," Juliette panted and rushed to Bea's side. "What's wrong?"

"It hurts!" Beatrice wailed. "It hurts, please make it stop!"

"What's going on?" Theo came into the room, hair disheveled as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"She's going into labour," Juliette said, trying to hide the panic in her voice. "Fucking hell, she's going into labor!"

"She has one more week to go," Beatrice's features went pale, hand instinctively placing itself on her baby bump. "She can't come out yet."

"Holy shit," Aster muttered while he paced around the room. "This can't be happening."

"Juliette keep her in one more week!" Beatrice screamed after another intense and powerful contraction.

"I can't stop that, the baby has to come out tonight," Juliette sighed.

"What do you mean tonight!" Theo keened. "The book I read said it could take up to days!"

"Magical pregnancies are different!" Juliette's voice trembled. "And especially with a baby whose magical signature is as powerful-"

"What the fuck does that mean?" Beatrice shouted through the waves of pain.

"That your body is not the only thing going through labor," Juliette took a deep breath. "Your magic also is, and because of the baby's magical power it means that your own is splintering to let her out and try to fix the cracks in it that are damaged during the process-"

"In English perhaps would be more understandable," Aster hissed.

"With magical babies as powerful as this one, they don't want to come out," Juliette explained. "They're too comfortable in the womb, where they have a stable magic flow to in a way nurture their own. Her body is the one forcing the labor, not the baby and this is why labor with extremely powerful babies are so risky.

"I have to induce more contractions with a potion to get the baby out," Juliette quickly swallowed a calming draught. "If we let this develop on its own, there's risk of infection or more complications and we can lose them both."

"And what about the plan?" Theo asked worriedly as he remained on Beatrice's side.

The pain was too much. Every fiber of her being, ever cell and every atom were begging for it to stop. For it all to stop.