fifty-nine

March, 2002

"You know, we've never talked about kids before," Fred blurted after staring at Beatrice long enough, the latter who was reading a copy of a battered muggle novel Regulus had let her borrow.

"Are we about to have the 'are we having kids and how many?' talk?" Beatrice said slowly as she put the book down to look at him amusedly.

"Are we?" Fred raised his brows in surprise, clearly being wrong about anticipating that she would eventually have smacked him in the face with the book.

"Sounds like we are," Bea smiled and tossed the novel aside, scooting closer to his side of the bed.

"So, kids?" Fred looked into her eyes as he pulled her closely to his side.

"I don't know," she mumbled. "Do you want any?"

"Do you want any?" he repeated.

"I asked first," she shrugged.

"I'm not the one who gets pregnant and then gives birth," Fred retorted with a smirk grazing his lips.

"Fair point," Bea rolled her eyes playfully. "I don't know really, for the longest time I've opposed to having children of my own."

"Can I ask why?"

"Because of Amelia and Theo," she said simply.

"Meaning?" Fred frowned.

"Because I've been a mum for as long as I can remember and I guess that I didn't want to keep doing it when they grew up," she explained. "And also, because I clearly didn't do a good job when it came to them-"

"Don't do that, don't blame yourself again for what they've done Tris," he shook his head disapprovingly. "You can't carry other people's load on your back forever love."

"I know," she sighed and leaned her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around him. "I just feel like I fucked them up somehow and I wouldn't want to put kids of my own through that, but-"

"It's fine if you don't want them," Fred stated. "I won't care if it's just the two of us forever love, I'm more than happy not having to share you with anyone else."

"You didn't let me finish," she huffed.

"Carry on then," he chuckled.

"But, I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now and you are the only person in the world who I would have children with," she cupped his face lovingly. "Just you, and I mean that."

"So, what you're trying to say is?" he insisted, eyes blown away at the revelation he never thought he would ever hear coming from her.

"Is that after the war and after we're far away from this place, I want us to start a family of our own," she stroked his cheek. "I know you'll be the best dad a child could ever have and I know that our future hypothetical ones will be more than happy to have you to call dad."

"You think so?"

"I know so," she laughed and nodded.

"They will be more than lucky to have you as their mum love," he grinned and peppered her face with tender kisses.

"I hope so," she giggled as he ticked her sides. "But it will happen one day darling, not now."

"I know, we're not in a rush," he agreed. "After this is over I'll build us the little cottage you dream of in the middle of nowhere and we'll have our little family, how does that sound?"

"Sounds good to me," she grinned.