twenty-three

Triggering content, viewer discretion advised.

Beatrice felt like she couldn't move.

She felt as if her airways were being constricted and were preventing her lungs to expand and reach for air.

Her mother's gaze was piercing the side of her head as she tried to focus on Fred's warm touch.

Amelia was holding her other hand tightly, being nearly as tense as her sister.

Bea felt that the funeral had extended for hours on end now and when it was finally over, she wanted nothing more than to curl herself into a ball in Fred's arms and wake up from the worst nightmare she had had in her lifetime.

She felt like a little girl again.

Vulnerable.

Terrified.

She truly didn't know where she had gotten the courage from to stand in front of her mother once the ceremony was over and the invitees began leaving.

"What are you doing here?" Bea asked coldly.

"I couldn't miss my father's funeral Beatrice," Genevieve stood up to look into her eldest daughter's eyes. "It was all over the Daily Prophet, did you seriously think I wouldn't find out?"

"You're not welcome here," Beatrice snarled and slightly pushed Amelia so that she could stand behind her and next to Fred, almost as if it could protect her from the monster that gave birth to the two of them.

"That is where you are wrong my darling," Genevieve chuckled darkly. "I am welcome everywhere-"

"Where have you been all these years?" Amelia inquired quietly.

"Here and there my sweet Amelia," the blonde woman tried to move past Beatrice to reach her youngest child but was blocked by Bea herself.

"Don't you dare talk to her," Bea hissed.

"I'm her mother-"

"You were my mother too," Beatrice spat. "And you were also a vile and cruel woman and you are not welcome here."

"You dare talk to your mother that way?" Genevieve raised her brow as her eyes became colder.

"You're nothing of mine," Beatrice said through gritted teeth. "Theo let's go."

"I'm gonna go with mum, actually," he scratched the back of his neck and looked at both of his sisters apologetically.

"Are you mad?" Beatrice whispered. "Can't you remember everything she did to us?"

"She was under the Imperius Curse, that was not her," Theo muttered.

"She was not," Bea's voice cracked. "That monster you're calling mum now was never cursed, that was the real her and she's tricking you, can't you see?"

"I'm old enough to make my own decisions, I don't need you making them for me anymore," he mumbled.

"How long have you known?" Amelia demanded and did her best to ignore the woman who her sister was shielding her from, bringing back memories she had sworn to forget.

"A while," Theo replied. "She contacted me a couple of months back-"

"How long?" Bea fumed.

"You don't have to answer her," Genevieve moved to stand behind her son.

"How long Theodore?"

"Like five months or so," he lowered his head to avoid his sister's betrayed stare.