Chapter 47

January 21st, 2018

"Good lord," Jo breathed out as she came out of the hotel room bathroom that Saturday morning. She had stopped right where she was, jaw dropped, eyes running up and down Taylor's frame.

"What?" Taylor looked over to her with alarm, noticing how Jo had finished doing her makeup.

"I didn't think you'd look that good in your dress, oh my god. I- I mean, you always look incredible but I've just never seen you looks this beautiful," Jo had to sit down on the bed to take it all in.

"I don't even have makeup on," Taylor blushed with a small laugh. Melissa offered to have their makeup done by her artist but they opted to do their own to save time and not have to deal with the awkward famous people interrogation.

"Darling, you're stunning," Jo leaned back. Her adoration was making Taylor nervous.

"Cut it out," Taylor shooed the attention away, going into the bathroom to use the mirror.

"I'm going to cut it off of you later."

"That is not what I said!"

Jo laid down on the bed with her feet still touching the floor, knees bent. She looked at the ceiling and whispered to herself, "Holy fuck, I am so lucky."

They made it to the wedding with minor ogling, unfortunately for Josephine. They had to spend a bit of time with the groom before they went to join the bride, as she and Charlie were both in the wedding party.

"Hey pal," Billy sighed, fiddling with his tie, "Can you come fix this for me?"

Jo looked up from Taylor's fingers. She had been playing with them on her lap, as she did from time to time, "I thought you knew how to do a tie? You're in the army."

"Your mother tied all my ties for me, and I never undid them. I just loosen and tighten 'em when I need them," Billy chuckled, a hint of sadness behind his eyes.

"What about this one, then?" Jo asked, taking it from him and moving his collar.

"This was the last tie she ever got me, wanted her to be apart of the special day. I accidentally untied it on the way over here, I was holding it."

"That's very sweet," Jo finished up, letting him straighten it in the mirror while she felt a bit of pain in her heart, "You want this for sure, Dad? To marry Melissa?"

Billy pursed his lips and nodded, "I definitely want this."

"Okay," Jo smiled softly, patting his shoulder, "I just needed to make sure."

"Jo, we have to go now," Charlie said from near the doorway. Jo nodded, giving Taylor a kiss goodbye before she went to see Melissa and Taylor was left to schmooze with the crowd.

Her actual job was to make sure Dylan had the rings and the dog, who was also getting walked down the aisle. It wasn't the worst job to have, but she was worried the kid was going to whisper weird things to her again.

She'd never got clarification on if his Dad's head came off during the accident that ended his life, or if Cassidy had just peeled his head off the sticker set on the back of the minivan.

It was better that way, she truly believed that.

During the ceremony, Jo teared up at her Dad's vows but she cried during Melissa's, which she hadn't expected to do. Even Charlotte let a few tears slip down her cheek, which was practically unheard of for the teenager.

"I cannot promise to be the best mom to your girls, they already had that, but I do promise to do my best to be a safe place for them to turn to and love you in a way that would have made both them and Elizabeth proud," were part of Melissa's vows.