Chapter 1

May 2, 2016

Josephine Collins was sitting on the sofa of Hugo Matheson's apartment, scrolling through Instagram aimlessly and double tapping on photos as they appeared in her feed. She had been waiting ten minutes already, after Hugo had called from the bedroom for her to let herself in.

She sighed, moving her sandy light brown hair out of her face and stood up. She slid her iPhone into her clutch, slipping it between her thumb and index finger and letting her heels clack against the tiled corridor that led towards her date's bedroom, passing the bathroom and small study on her way.

"Are you almost ready to go?" She asked. She had a soft voice but it rasped when she was frustrated, and she had already been running late due to an error with Uber so her date's additional tardiness was causing her tension levels to rise.

Footsteps approached the wooden door, the silver handle turned and it opened to reveal the dark haired man, clad in his sweatpants and a loose white t-shirt, "For what?"

"Are you joking?" She exclaimed, "We were supposed to leave ten minutes ago! I told you to be ready when I got here."

"I am joking. Let's go," he grinned, looking down at the woman's two inch heels that made her a full six feet tall.

Jo rolled her eyes, "You know what, I'll just go alone. Stay here and play your video games or whatever, obviously this isn't important to you."

"Well, it would be important to me if I was important to you. However, I don't think you give a flying fuck about me, Jo. This just proves it, because instead of coming in to see what I was wearing and to say hello, you sat out in the living room and waited for me to dote on you," Hugo said, he seemed angry with her.

His eyebrows knitted as his forehead let out a bulged vein, not that she'd ever paid enough attention to him to see it before that moment. She needed a date to the Met Gala, her manager had explicitly told her so.

This one helped her get into the Met Gala, so really it was a win-win for her.

"I didn't need you to dote on me, Hugo!" The brown eyed women replied, scoffing in disbelief, "I needed you to be responsible and get ready, you're twenty-five for god's sake, I shouldn't need to babysit you."

"No, but you need me as a beard, right? Because Rachel doesn't want people thinking you're gay? Tell me if I'm wrong, Jo, but you and I both check out the waitress when we go to dinner."

Her jaw dropped, "That is unfair of you to say."

He shook his head, his hand reached up to his face and rubbed his mouth tensely, "You wasted my time for three months. No sex, you barely spoke to me on the phone and I'm a catch! I treat you right so the only explanation for why you act like I mean nothing to you is because you like girls, don't you? Is that why Rachel set us up?"

She bit her lip, leaving a small crease in her pink lipstick, "Why tonight? Why do you have to do this to me tonight?"

He moved his mouth to one side, almost in a look of contemplation, "I think I just got fed up, I couldn't let you use me anymore than you have. My job at Vogue got you into it, but I don't want to be arm candy all night to you."

Josephine held onto her clutch a bit tighter before turning around to head out the door and proceed to the event herself, hearing him clear his throat behind her. She turned around once more, staring at the pale man who was holding up the ticket she needed to get in. Her makeup layered face was showing a rather lack of amusement while Hugo's continued to hold a smirk of glee.

"Forgetting something?" He tilted his head, exposing his freckled cheek to the light.

"How much is it going to cost me?"